Workbench completed(ish)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matt1245

Established Member
Reaction score
Finally got my workbench completed(ish) this afternoon. Not much to look at and not as impressive as some on here, but it's solid and better than i had before (nothng). Will be adding some shelves and drawers to it in the near future, but at least now i can get some projects started.

Here's the pic of the beast, with my ever growing collection of planes (some still to be fettled).

matt1245-Dsci0536edit.jpg

Try and ignore the mess under then bench :lol:

Matt.

There's no need to be so modest, Matt, that's a lovely bench. Well done!

Gill

Hey Matt
Looks good to me. Must be strong enough, to hold all those "things" on top of it. :D
Is the top as thick as it shows or is that a wide apron around the edge? And judging from the pic, you may need some drawers. :D And they will give the table more mass, which is a good thing, I think. :wink:

Travis

No, the top is just over 2" thick, with a hardwood skirt around.

Will give it some action tomorrow, see if i can ruin it. :lol:

Matt.

Matt,
It's a nice looking bench and will serve you well I am sure. It's worth actually writing stuff down as it occurs to you, when you find yourself thinking " in my next bench I will do so and so.. I always forget such injunctions and it takes me three goes to get anything right!

Proper job, Matt. And that's just the plane parade. :wink: :lol: Nice bench; we want details. Length, breadth, height, materials, vice model number, the works. :D

Cheers, Alf

Thanks for the nice words guys.

Phil, the top is 3 pieces of 18mm ply glued and screwed together (pinched bugbears idea :) ) Probably will damage pretty easily, but have got some 6mm ply to put on top when i start chucking chisels around etc. And after all, it's a workbench, not furniture.

Good idea waterhead, i'll do that. I'll probably use this bench to make the first of my perfect benches :lol:

Also i will be adding a tool shelf on the left hand side to store the tools that i'm using at the time.

Matt.

[/quote]we want details. Length, breadth, height, materials, vice model number, the works.
Your so demanding Alf. Ok then :

Top is Ply, legs etc pine (did my first M & T's, and bolted through) skirt and vise jaws are sapele (my first dovetail on the corner), Tail vise record 50, front vise record 52 quick release (both my grandad's) Top is 2' x 5', 34" high (can easily be adjusted tho). No glue used, apart from on the skirt and top, so it can be dismantled if we move, and i get a proper workshop.

http://server2.uploadit.org/files/matt1245-Dsci0539edit.jpg
http://server2.uploadit.org/files/matt1245-Dsci0537edit.jpg

Matt.

Very nice job, Matt. Well done. =D> =D> And what a nice home for those inherited vices.

Yep, I reckon you should ditch that 'L' plate now. :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Nice one Matt!

I think you'll find this bench will last you as long as you want it to. Many a bench (mine included) started out as a "temporary" one--you know, just until a "proper" bench is built.

If I ever get around to building that bench, this one will still find a place in my shop. If nothing else, the top will be used for an assembly table.

But again, it looks really good. Now you get to put it to good use!

Mike

Lovely bench Matt - well done!!

I see in my crystal ball that there is plenty of rust removal in the near future :wink:

I see in my crystal ball that there is plenty of rust removal in the near future

Hmmmmmm, just a bit. Few blades to polish and vises to clean.

Got a pile off 200+ year old oak from church pews just begging to be made into some boxes.

Matt.

Matt1245":3hjl24ku said:
Got a pile off 200+ year old oak from church pews just begging to be made into some boxes.

Matt.

Do the Clergy know you've got all their Oak?!

Nice bench. Looks the business!

Cheers

Howard

They will do by now. I should say the backs out of the pews, they'll still have something to keep there bums cold. :lol:

Matt.

Back