Workbench Build aka Paul Sellers style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
I thought I'd document my workbench build with some photography and pictures, and instead of keeping it to myself, make a kind of blog as I go along.

today I am starting with the legs and braces.

the legs are 3 x 4 and cross rails 2 x 4 cut down to the exact lengths required.

Now I just need to mark out the mortises with the mortise gauge and begin cutting them.

Attachments

• Workbench-1.jpg
    Workbench-1.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Workbench-2.jpg
    Workbench-2.jpg
    218.7 KB · Views: 1,302
  • Workbench-3.jpg
    Workbench-3.jpg
    253.3 KB · Views: 1,307
  • Workbench-4.jpg
    Workbench-4.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 1,305
Oh good, another workbench build! Looking forward to this, although you've got a tough job ahead of you to beat Mark's humourous posts! ;)

My first project when shed finished will be a Sellers Workbench, with variations, probably, so will be watching this with interest.

Need to buy about 100 sash cramps first though.. :D

One thing I would say is that if anyone starts with the thought that this is only a basic bit of rough and ready joinery is that if you are not prepared to true your legs up prior to cutting joints, check all four corners before marking out. Don't just check one corner, think that it's tolerable and get on with it - invariably one corner will be closer to true than the others, and you only need one. I accept of course that most people will true stuff as a matter of course, but for people like me who did not have the luxury of a bench to work on, we tend to make the most of the status quo.

I got through 4 mortises on 2 of the legs, it took a lot longer than expected, there is a hell of a lot of waste, made a few mistakes but excuse the pun (touch wood) nothing too bad, tomorrow I will finish off the other mortise holes and take some pics, each joint gets slightly easier, I am sharpening my chisel very often as well.

thetyreman":12oex6ot said:
I got through 4 mortises on 2 of the legs, it took a lot longer than expected, there is a hell of a lot of waste, made a few mistakes but excuse the pun (touch wood) nothing too bad, tomorrow I will finish off the other mortise holes and take some pics, each joint gets slightly easier, I am sharpening my chisel very often as well.

Are you using Paul's mortise chopping method? I cut 10 M&T joints for my bench and found the chopping got more precise and efficient as I progressed, so keep it up!

all mortices are now cut,

next up, time to cut the tenons on the rails.

Attachments

• Mortises-1.jpg
    Mortises-1.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 1,108
NickN":2bcpgs9v said:
Looking good, tidy job. I take it you're not planning to add a tail vice, or are you mounting one through the top rail rather than above?

thanks, no not planning on having a tail vice. I am going to try and get all 4 rails ready today, in between work as I am self employed and work from home.

If you change your mind and want to get an end vice later on, the veritas one is excellent and very easy to retrofit. But if you have holdfasts, you could pretty much get by without one.

managed to get 2 of the four rails finished, and kept taking away a bit at a time, making sure it all fits, it takes longer than expected but is very satisfying when it fits, VERY

I cut myself quite badly with a chisel when paring one of the tenons so have had to stop for now, it's my own fault for being tired, will see how I feel tomorrow. I will upload new pics tomorrow to show the progress. It's surprising how much I am enjoying this so far apart from cutting myself lol onwards and upwards (literally)

@mark, I doubt I will get the end vice, but thanks for the suggestion.

update, I have actually now finished both frames, pics are from earlier today, tomorrow I will upload more of the completed frames.

Attachments

• frame+rails-1.jpg
    frame+rails-1.jpg
    226.6 KB · Views: 962
  • frame+rails-1-2.jpg
    frame+rails-1-2.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 963
  • frame+rails-2.jpg
    frame+rails-2.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 965
  • frame+rails-3.jpg
    frame+rails-3.jpg
    241.4 KB · Views: 966
  • frame+rails-5.jpg
    frame+rails-5.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 965
Looking good! I love a bench build thread. I will hopefully be making one in the near future (once my workshop is sorted and certain domestic duties are fulfilled) but mine will probably be a less ambitious design than the Sellers style one you have embarked upon.

Nice joints! ;)

Do you mind me asking roughly how much you paid for your pine? Did you buy it rough or PAR?

I'm making a workbench soon, and am debating whether to use CLS or PAR pine. :)

MattRoberts":3g911m94 said:
Nice joints! ;)

Do you mind me asking roughly how much you paid for your pine? Did you buy it rough or PAR?

I'm making a workbench soon, and am debating whether to use CLS or PAR pine. :)

not at all matt, it cost £19.20 for this lot of wood, it was also PAR because I didn't want to be faffing about spending years squaring it lol the build is challenging enough as it is!

p.s what does CLS actually stand for? I don't have a clue.

obviously once I buy all the wood and the vice it will cost a lot more, I predict £100-£150.

latest update, I have finished the frames!!! just completed the round overs on the long tenons, next step is to glue it up and leave em to dry, but I'll wait until tomorrow for that.

Attachments

• finishedframes+roundovers-1.jpg
    finishedframes+roundovers-1.jpg
    233.7 KB · Views: 220
  • finishedframes+roundovers-2.jpg
    finishedframes+roundovers-2.jpg
    192 KB · Views: 227
  • finishedframes+roundovers-3.jpg
    finishedframes+roundovers-3.jpg
    203.2 KB · Views: 228
  • finishedframes+roundovers-4.jpg
    finishedframes+roundovers-4.jpg