Workbench Build aka Paul Sellers style

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks really good and inspired by your efforts, i gave my bench a makeover today. Fitted a new piece of hardwood to the movable jaw, into which i drilled some dog holes and did a row of dog holes in the bench top after i had planed and sanded it. Was still dead flat, after about 15 years of use. Wanted to varnish it too but ran out of steam and it will have to do until i get around to making a new one like yours. Well done.

Really great thread, thanks for sharing your journey.

I looked at the link to Paul Sellers you provided and went on to read his three parter on installing a vice. I have to say that looking at the pictures you have posted yours looks a lot tidier than his does. Top notch.

All the best now it comes to using it.

Terry.

Wizard9999":1s30b6lj said:
Really great thread, thanks for sharing your journey.

I looked at the link to Paul Sellers you provided and went on to read his three parter on installing a vice. I have to say that looking at the pictures you have posted yours looks a lot tidier than his does. Top notch.

All the best now it comes to using it.

Terry.

thanks a lot terry, not sure I have the aquired knowedge of paul though, or experience, although I'm very happy as it's turned out much better than I expected.

I am happy that I shared it with others instead of keeping it to myself, posting on this forum also helped me to keep motivated, it's more work but well worth it.

The only thing is I am sad it's over, but I have a LOT of things I plan on building with it, beginning today.

MattRoberts":32m30z1v said:
Looks fantastic mate, well done. You've really inspired me to spend the time to make my bench properly, and make sure not to scrimp on the little details just because it's a workbench - so thank you :)

thanks, I'm happy it has inspired you to make one

skipdiver":l5t9ezt0 said:
Looks really good and inspired by your efforts, i gave my bench a makeover today. Fitted a new piece of hardwood to the movable jaw, into which i drilled some dog holes and did a row of dog holes in the bench top after i had planed and sanded it. Was still dead flat, after about 15 years of use. Wanted to varnish it too but ran out of steam and it will have to do until i get around to making a new one like yours. Well done.

thanks, good to know it's still flat after all that time.

Really enjoyed reading this thread and as a newbie to woodworking along with Paul Sellers has given me the confidence and motivation to build my very first bench. Incidentally I got my record 53A vice this morning I can't wait to fit it. I hope it turns out like yours. Great work sir

FatmanG":1s2lt3t7 said:
Really enjoyed reading this thread and as a newbie to woodworking along with Paul Sellers has given me the confidence and motivation to build my very first bench. Incidentally I got my record 53A vice this morning I can't wait to fit it. I hope it turns out like yours. Great work sir

thanks man, I'm happy it has motivated you to get started. :D let us know how it goes.

I've just been tidying my bench and wall board and come in here and got severe workbench envy!!!
IMG-20201121-WA0026.jpeg

Cheers mate!!!

managed to get 2 of the four rails finished, and kept taking away a bit at a time, making sure it all fits, it takes longer than expected but is very satisfying when it fits, VERY

I cut myself quite badly with a chisel when paring one of the tenons so have had to stop for now, it's my own fault for being tired, will see how I feel tomorrow. I will upload new pics tomorrow to show the progress. It's surprising how much I am enjoying this so far apart from cutting myself lol onwards and upwards (literally)

@mark, I doubt I will get the end vice, but thanks for the suggestion.
I've found that, with a couple of home-made bench-dogs & a pair of opposing wedges, an end-vice isn't needed. - Also, have you considered using:

I've found that, with a couple of home-made bench-dogs & a pair of opposing wedges, an end-vice isn't needed. - Also, have you considered using:

well I made the bench 5 years ago now, I have changed my opinion a lot in that time, I drilled two holes at the vice end of my bench and use simon james bench dogs, it works very well when needed especially for very thin stock that can't be planed in a vice.

Latest posts

Back