Workbench advice sought...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morrisminordriver

Established Member
Reaction score
(I hope this is OK - but Ive already posted this request for info on anoth WW site...).

Dear everyone,

can anyone advise me on the purchase of a workbench...

I do a variety of general joinery jobs currently (as a hobby) and hope to find time (at some point in the future) to do some cabinet making. I prefer to use hand tools rather than power tools..

Firstly - If anyone was going to suggest it - I dont have the time to make one.....

Secondly - Ive looked at (and now discounted) a second hand one from G+M (too far away and not seen anything that really takes my fancy on their site)

Thirdly - looked at the Emir site - quite liked the look of the 1.5m cabinet makers bench but cant find a price (anyone know?)

This has left me looking at 2 benches - both Sjobergs.
(Jester - if you read this - I recall you saying you you were not 100% happy with a Sjoberg - can you say why?).

the first is the Sjoberg 1.49m with cupboards and 4 drawers (shown here on the D+M website - best price I can find) http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/browse.php3?sn=SJO1420
plus points are price (£299 plus free delivery) and having two set of bench dogs so can hold boards etc

the second is the Sjoberg 1.5m Professional - got the cupboards and drawers ( but less of them) but has that hefty side vice that looks like it could hold an elephant still (shown here - again on the D+M site -best price I can see)
http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/store/browse. ... 72&level=5
good points are the vice(s) but its more expensive at £369 and only has one set of bench dogs.

So whaddya think?, for me it comes down to the dogs and the vice ......is having one rather than 2 sets of bench dogs really an issue in practice?. is that hefty side vice worth the extra quids?.

Any comments will be gratefully received.

Thanks,
Mike S.

you could always cut another row of holes for bench dogs if you need them.

aleks

PS i can't comment on benches as i use 18mm ply and saw horses

I think one row of dogs is plenty, I don't have any on my home-made bench. If I need to hold a flat panel for sanding etc then I clamp a couple of thinner pieces either side (just one side if using a belt sander).
I totally approve of buying ready made if you are short of time. Just make sure your bench is high enough, most aren't (saves on material to provide shorter legs)
John

I had a look at teh bench in question on your link. Although there are two sets of dogs they are both operated from the one vice, so the ability to use both sets together is limited. I can only see them being of use if you are working on a very wide board, but that is of limited value to my way of thinking.

Back