Work trousers - not baggy ones! Any suggestions?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

partsandlabour

Established Member
Reaction score
Right. I've been looking all over and it seems that ALL work trousers are designed with a nod towards 90s hip hop / indie Madchester baggy / old skool rave fashions.

I can't stand all the extra fabric flapping around snagging on stuff while I'm working, or the sound of the fabric rubbing when I'm walking - it gets right on my t*t ends!

Anyone know of any decent quality, close fitting work pants out there?

Before you ask.. YES I enjoy the feel of tight trousers... OK?! :D

I for one like feeling like a cowboy with my holster pockets! Tape measures at noon!

Engelbert Strauss has some pretty good gear, they'd also probably have something like what you're after.

I just wear Craghopper Classic walking trousers for work and walking. Plenty of pockets and not very baggy. Think they do a stretch version as well for a closer fit.

I've paid £50 plus for scruffs trousers before and they are worth it in my opinion. Big, comfy, durable, the lot. I work in a job that breaks clothes and boots because no one makes work wear designed for my job . The cheap range though. Never tried them until recently. Bought a pair. They are ok. O.K.
If you like a tight leg you will love them. Half the price and that's reflected. Have knee pockets etc but you'd never get a pad in them. Have all the side pockets bit not the dangly waist ones which is fine by me tbh. To be fair they have stood up ok and are in ok order. They are ok trousers. They look like gonky site engineers trousers tbh. Sort of fella who wears work steel toecaps to a wedding. Having said that the stitching and manufacture is fine. For the money it's a solid 9/10, if you want quality comfy workwear spend a bit more than this range.
I bought a pair of Liddl workboots for 16 notes lmao so who am I to say anything. :D
And yeh. They are OK too..' till it rains.
:roll:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/scruffs-work ... 33-l/94878

I wear 2 brands Engelbert Strauss are very tough well fitting and available in very long leg which is a must for me
I wear the motion range which is elastic and so comfortable but not particularly hard wearing

If you want hard wearing carhartt double fronted logger pant are about the most durable thing you can get they are a heavy canvas material and I can promise you won't get anything thicker and more hard-wearing
No knee pockets but the have a ruler/pencil pocket and hammer loop
And the best thing about them is dark brown ones hide just about every dirt possible so always look reasonably presentable

The problem with a lot of work trousers, especially ones based around combats or cargo pants, is that big pockets require baggy legs... and these are usually designed to be worn with thermal liners (proper ones, not thin longjohn types), so again will be baggy.... and they're designed for heavy lifting and lots of movement, so again will be baggy.

However, I recently picked up Aldi's latest offering in work trousers and they're actually a fairly tight fit that also look smart. Not the skin-tight style typical of mid-late 2010s Gok Wan followers and other men who like to wear women's cut jeans... more like slightly looser chinos.

I have had a couple of pairs of Blakladers - lovely and comfortable and hardwearing, but the zips went on both pairs.

I am currently using Scruffs and Ox. I like them both

HTH

You guys are way smarter in your workshop than me. I'd never pay £40 for something that will be covered in sawdust and glue in about 2 mins.

Big pair of jeans from Primani ... £8. (hammer)

Why pay good money for trousers to work in? Stock up at your local charity shop for £ 1 - £2 a pair and treat them as sacrificial.

Blockplane":18evtiit said:
Why pay good money for trousers to work in? Stock up at your local charity shop for £ 1 - £2 a pair and treat them as sacrificial.
Surely the thing to do is get an old pair of pre-war overalls and restore them to pristine condition? :lol:

OscarG":150kuqf8 said:
You guys are way smarter in your workshop than me. I'd never pay £40 for something that will be covered in sawdust and glue in about 2 mins.

Big pair of jeans from Primani ... £8. (hammer)
Tried all that, (can't wear jeans to work but their combats), destroyed them in about two weeks. They just fell apart. My job's a little different granted but that expensive pair of snickers (and I don't like paying it :roll: ) lasted two full years of abuse. I even got the zip fixed up the road to make them last. Bespoke Gentlemans workwear donchya kno'. Wot. 8) For me it's false economy to wear primarni stuff. Only reason I bought the budget range of snickers this time was my Guvnor moaning that I wasn't wearing blue strides and the good ones don't come in blue. Black or that daft two tone rigmarole.
In my shed I wear anything that is on it's last legs (excuse the pun) but that's just in my shed.

Tasky":2fau17jj said:
Blockplane":2fau17jj said:
Surely the thing to do is get an old pair of pre-war overalls and restore them to pristine condition? :lol:

Dear god man, you need to keep the patina.
Whatever next Tasky? Buying Burberry Overalls and working in a common necktie rather than a cravat. Dear Lord.
Bloomin' chavs.
:wink:

Back