Work shop layout software - Free

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What did we use for planning before computers?
I still use graph paper with the tools and benches to scale made from cutouts of cardboard. ;)

Is 16'by24' with 8' high celling a good size workshop? Should the ceilling be higher? Thanks

16x24 is a lot more than many of us have who use a garage.
Mine is 20x10 which makes planning much more important to fit all the machines in with room to move.
I'd kill for an 8' height as mine is a flat roof with slope from front to back giving me just 8' at the front & 6' at the rear.
It doesn't matter what size a workshop is. You always manage to fill it then need more space for new additions. :roll:

Wood.... there's not much I wouldn't trade to have access to a 16x24; that seems to be a ballpark size for your Mk1 american double garage. That said, that 8' ceiling seems a little too low for me; if you intend to work with fill sheets of material it could become a prob. Additionally, more often than not you'll find that rough sawn boards tend to be in the 9-12ft bracket. Given the choice, I'd opt for a height of 10ft at the eaves.

Midnight.
A 10' eaves may cause a problem.
From reading another forum it appears that a 'garage', if that's what it is classed as, has a maximum height to the pitch of the room. It may be advisable for wood to contact his local planning officer or building control officer to check this out.

I stand corrected Dewy... like I said... for me, a shop that size is the stuff of dreams....

Me too Midnight. Standard garage is 16x8 but I bought the largest possible in the cheap flat roof version.
Put it up 1st before thinking about planning permission.
Fortunately it has been up 10 years so the planning authority cant make me take it down. ;)

Fortunately it has been up 10 years so the planning authority cant make me take it down. ;)[/quote] famous last words :twisted: honest guv it was here when we bought the place

I have proof of the time it's been there Frank.
I put the date in the wet concrete floor when it was laid.
It distinctly says '4/94'
I thought I'd do the same as they do on the Hollywood pavements. :wink:

Latest posts

Back