Work light for machines

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foxhunter

Established Member
Reaction score
My increasingly poor eyesight makes setting up machines and making cuts very difficult. Does anyone have any suggestions apart from flooding the workshop with light? These may need to be attached to the machine and therefore subject to some vibration.

Starting to have the same problem. I was going to look at cheap, possibly LV, table lamp type of things but havent really started looking. I have seen lots of likely looking ideas in the passing but cannot remember where I saw them now? A head torch was one option for seeing into the router for changing bits but I also have problems seeing into where I am cutting. Really need something which is almost spot light in direction. There are a lot of LV ideas which may be adaptable which you see in the merchants but then you need to put the transformer somewhere. Best wishes.

I have a head-worn magnifier, like this:

It looks a bit silly (so the kids tell me!), but it works really well, the headband is narrow enough to wear under ear defenders. and I've got the add-on lens for one eye.

Sadly, I couldn't manage without it nowadays ;-)

E.

PS: there are versions with built-in LED lamps. might be good - I've no idea.

Magnetic gooseneck machine light? Just stick it to whatever machine your working on, don't know how your set up but loads of different types so must be one that suits you?

Dean

Look for a cheapy desk lamp in the likes of Argos. One with a halogen or LED lamp on a gooseneck. Attach the base to your machine (s) and wire in the the supply before the switch or share the plug in some way this should make sure you don't leave the tools plgeed in when you finish in the shop for the day/evening.

I bought a couple like these from Ikea but they came with a clip instead of the base . They are very bright LED which is a good white light for working and are on a long flex which stays in place
Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 22.42.03.png
. They are low voltage and have a very long lead so can be moved between different tasks. Geoff

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 22.42.03.png
    Screen Shot 2013-06-08 at 22.42.03.png
    29.1 KB · Views: 93
Foxhunter if your deteriorating vision is due to normal age related changes then you have three choices,

1. increasing the lighting to improve contrast, remember the inverse square law which basically means that even a relatively weak light very close to something is going to be much more effective than a bright light far away. Fluorescent or LED are both better as task lighting than incandescent lighting and do not generate as much heat. Think about glare sources, reflections and directional lighting. You might also be able to improve contrast by darkening the scale measurements for example and lightening the background, black marker rather than pencil etc.
2. Magnification, as well as the head mounted loupe, you can also get hand and stand magnifiers with and without illumination, that is angular magnification, you can also have real magnification by making the item you are looking at bigger e.g. a larger scale with bigger numbers ( if that is possible).
3. More powerful reading glasses, however as you increase your reading addition you will reduce your working distance, so if you go from a +3 reading add to a +4 you will reduce from a working distance of 33cm to 25 cm although you will gain a bit of magnification due to distance magnification as you move closer to the object whilst staying in focus.

Sorry if this is rude but if you are of the age where you might be developing cataracts and have early cataracts you might want to think about having them done. As your lens ages it will discolour, reducing contrast and increasing glare well before a noticeable loss of vision.

My apologies if I am teaching you to suck eggs.

Many thanks for all these suggestions. I probably need to increase the general lighting in the workshop anyway, it may be that all I need to do is to wash the shades on the strip lights! I did try a head torch today, I have a spare now that my more adventurous mountain trips are coming to an end. The Ikea lamp is what I was thinking of but didn't know where they would be available - having discounted the lamps in the new Brimarc catalogue.

Thanks to Tim_H but my eyes are healthy but weak and are checked regularly.

Brian

Back