Work in Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveL

Established Member
Reaction score
This is the current project I am spending time on. :)

Look at the this [Rolf Harris] Can you tell what it is yet :wink: [/Rolf Harris]
Dscn3138s.jpg

Well your looking at the start of a small production run, I can see it in MCN

'New British Bike Enters Market'
Dscn3140s.jpg

Well for a little while they will be in production for a select group of 2 year olds, so none of you qualify sorry folks :? and on reading another thread about making a living doing wood work you could not afford to buy one from me. :wink:

Dscn3143s.jpg

This is the prototype, not finished yet, no pun intended and the dowels are not glued, the wheel spindles will be flush. :D
The wheels are american walnut, they have had a coat of finishing oil but need rubbing back and another coat or two applied.
The frame is canadian maple, no finish applied at all yet.

The plans are from here so if you are taken with it make one for yourself. :roll:

looks great that!
are you intending to sell them to people you know?
or do you aim to sell them at craft fairs and such like,
i know im milton keynes shopping centre, they rent out stalls in their xmas area for crafts people, i always find it interesting to look round their

Good job Dave :)

Thanks for the link to the plan, I'm sure my cousin will like one for his birthday next year

Very good I like the comments, I can belive some of you are like children, I know I am still a big kid :shock: :oops: 8)

As for making the wheels, I have a very nice Jasper jig for cutting circles with the router but I found when making my box lid the walnut had a tendency to split along the grain. :x So I marked out the circles with a compass and then cut them free hand on the band saw. I made a jig, grand name for a board with a nail in it. OK so the nail was tapped into a pre-drilled hole. The board was then fixed with a single screw to board clamped in front of my side mounted belt sander. If you look at the first picture you can see the sander and the base board clamped to the bench, all of the bits are on it. A stop block with a T nut and bolt with lock nut was use to give fine adjustment of the position of the nail to the belt. I drilled a nail sized hole in the rough cut wheel and sanded them to size. The hole was then opened out to take the 3/8" dowel.

If you are really interested I will take a picture of the setup I think I still have all of the bits. :roll:

Dave, re the wheel cutting. No need for a picture, I can see what you are doing.
I have some 6" circles to make for some Xmas pressies but I have no lathe and only ocassional access to a band saw. I was considering buying a Trend Beam Trammel Attchment point and using the router. It's either that or freehand on the scroll saw.

Andy

'Tis an easy task to make your own trammel. Tony will probably be along in a minute with a dozen or so different designs. :D

Cheers, Alf

Alf, I know but the trammel point is available for only about £5 and uses the bars that attach the side fence.

Andy

dedee":37npraj0 said:
Alf, I know but the trammel point is available for only about £5 and uses the bars that attach the side fence.
Well yeah, but that £5 could go on something you can't make... :roll:

Alf, I know, you have made me feel guilty now. but unfortunately I seem to have more money than time. I measure my workshop time in minutes these days & therefore time spent making things in order to make things when the missus expects a completed item after each workshop visit is hard to justify and it is only a fiver.

Andy

Andy
I have that little Trend trammel attachment. But before I made do by drilling a hole through one of the bars (or some purchased steel bar from B&Q) and putting a nail through. To be honest this takes seconds to do and probably works as well if not better than the trammel attachment.
Cheers
Gidon

Ok, Ok, I give up I'll give the nail through the hole trick a try. I just hope I can drill a hole through am 8mm rod without the aid of a bench drill. I only have a mortiser with drill chuck and that spins way to fast for drilling metal.
Andy

Back