Work Boots

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
So I’m shopping around for a new pair of boots since I’ve worn the sole on mine (Stanley Milford) to the steel mid sole plate again, I’ve had three pairs of these boots in four years and I’ve worn them down to the steel each time. I don’t do anything ridiculous with them and 95% of the time I’m indoors but I work on a fairly rough tamped concrete floor all day so that wears them out fairly quick.

The Stanley Milfords are a pretty good fit for me out of the box but when I had the last pair I let a couple of people try them on and they were shocked by how hard the sole was, so perhaps I’m missing out on some big comfort bonuses with some other pairs? I was wondering if there’s any suggestions from you fine folks on decent footwear.

I'm a convert to scruffs "twisters", usually a pair lasts about a year. But they are worn for work, gardening, field work and Sometimes become dog chews. I seek comfort and these fit the bill, look pretty slick as well.

I'm on my 3rd set of dewalt hendersons. They stay waterproof, take about a year to die and the toe doesn't fall apart from grubbing around on my knees. Thats about all I need from a boot.

I have a very comfy pair of dewalts. They don't get daily use so last me a long time. They were from Costco, called something like apprentice or similar and were about £35. These are the best of what i have had over the years. Depending on what you need protecting from, I also had a couple of very comfy pairs of cat safety trainers. I am fairly sure but not certain that they had a steel midsole as well as toe caps and for general wear and wearing in a warehouse type environment they were brilliant.

Last edited:
......... the steel mid sole plate.............

My boots have this too. I did the hedge a couple of days ago and stood on a blackthorn. It went straight through the sole, and straight into the base of one of my toes. I haven't walked well since. It seems that the steel mid-sole doesn't extend under the entire sole, but finishes a little short of the toes.

I have size 11 wide feet and have reduced shoe shop assistants to tears trying to find something/ anything to fit. With safety shoes I have the same problems especially as I suffer from gout and my big toe joint is now larger than normal.

I have to go to the shop and try on any shoe that has a wide fit, currently I have some Doc Martens but I have had to glue the toe rubber back a couple of times and I think I am due some new shoes but it will be back to the shop to try them all on again. I have also noticed that what fitted last time will have had some cosmetic changes made in the last couple of years so it does not now fit.

Also I go for a leather finish as I cannot keep any of the synthetic materials clean and they look scruffy after a coupe of months.

Nightmare, Bob. The tip always seems to break off, and the wound always gets infected. I hate blackthorn, and have got about 30 yards of blackthorn hedge!

A trick passed down the generations of farmer side of my family is to tape a slice of tomato overnight on a blackthorn wound or nasty splinter and it comes right out.

Whether it actually works or not I couldn't tell you 🤷‍♂️

A trick passed down the generations of farmer side of my family is to tape a slice of tomato overnight on a blackthorn wound or nasty splinter and it comes right out.

Whether it actually works or not I couldn't tell you 🤷‍♂️

Cherry, plum or beef?

I'm sure there's something on the surface of blackthorn - maybe bacteria, maybe fungus, maybe something else - that causes extra pain/inflammation. The thorns are tough enough to go through tractor tyres!

I like the elasticated dealer boots (no faffing with laces, as I'm in and out all day) and find the 'Site' brand from Screwfix comfortable to wear, although I realised the limited coverage of the toecap the other day when I dropped a solidified bag of cement on my little toe....

I settled on a pair of Switchbacks like Doug suggested, I was looking at them initially anyway so I'll give 'em a shot.

I tried a pair of Workzone ones from Aldi once, I think I had them a couple of weeks before giving up as they were simply just too uncomfortable and weren't wearing in at all.

Well done for wearing out the soles - my boots always fall apart on the steel toe cap or the uppers. I have tried Dewalt, Catapillar, Dunlop etc - they are all much of a muchness. I recon that once the laces give up the boots will die fairly shortly afterwards. Also the steel toe cap is never wide enough and I develop big calluses on my big toes where they rub. 12 months is a good result, and I wear sandals for the summer (unless I am wrestling pigs or similar).

I think the Chinese have cornered the market in boots, and they are all made of cheese these days.

I had 3 pairs of scruffs waterproof toecap boots in sccession at one time. Like wearing trainers they were so light. They stopped making that model. About right. I'd like to try those new twister boots. Light weight would be a huge bonus if I worked indoors on concrete with a big juicy insole fitted. Boing.
As it is, my job slaughters workboots. Constant wet and dry and holding on to window ledges with your toes 9 floors up doesn't help. I wear thirty nicker decathlon trainers in the summer for the weight. They do ok. 4- 8 months.
Strangely Trevanion, I bought a pair of Lidl workzone type boots on a whim a good while ago. Mental money for boots. £20? Can't remember.
They are the Mules of the Racehorse world. But I have to say, yes they are bog standard and no frills, but they have lasted really well. Nearly a year. Outstanding(!) for £20 boots.
But, yes, in a different job I'd go comfort all day long. Older you get the more you can see the sense in spending hard earned on gear that keeps your body happy in tough jobs if it's available.

I rarely wear anything other than my boots and with big wide feet it was hard to get good uns that is until last year.
We displayed at the National Ploughing Championships mudbath. The geezer across the way called Aussie Clobber was selling REDBACK (DEALER) BOOTS and I tentatively enquired. £90 show price and 100% money back If after 3 months I wasn't happy. Tried and bought the first pair I'm wearing now and tromped away through the mire with the best boots I've ever worn STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX.
Most the (repeat) customers were farmers and agricultural engineers standing in boots up to 5 years old, mind you they did look it;)
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
Back