Work Bench Work Holding

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That would work":1bshzlqq said:
Thing really is for me that all this work hold thing EVOLVES as you work on different things over time. The notion that you must suddenly equip yourself with every know holding method known (and actually spend money doing it) overnight is a bit of a waste of time. Holding work should be left as the "mother of invention".

Agreed. Also, I'd suggest that if you have workholding devices that need unpacking and assembly, you'll find yourself preferring something immediate and simple - a vice, a stop, a holdfast or a clamp.

The best options don't interrupt the flow either to hold the work or to release it for checking or for the next operation.

Maybe before you start thinking about boxes you need to actually make the bench you currently don't have, It's a great learning project if you do some research, plenty of info out there to keep you entertained for hours and then just get on with it.

You won't be carrying much of the wood for your workbench on a bike though. :)

Lons":7dr2rval said:
Maybe before you start thinking about boxes you need to actually make the bench you currently don't have, It's a great learning project if you do some research, plenty of info out there to keep you entertained for hours and then just get on with it.

Well yes. But given the design of the bench is partly dependant on the intended use, having some idea of some projects I wanna make seems sensible.

This is the Netherlands. Carrying stupid quantities us stuff on bikes is a national past time...

J

quixoticgeek":1a9c46df said:
Lons":1a9c46df said:

Well yes. But given the design of the bench is partly dependant on the intended use, having some idea of some projects I wanna make seems sensible.

This is the Netherlands. Carrying stupid quantities us stuff on bikes is a national past time...

J
Clearly we don't know enough about you. What you said was you have no bench and will be starting from a clean slate.

If you ask questions on here you will get replies that are opinions usually based on many years of experience and therefore valid. The respondents have taken time to give that advice in good faith and whether you accept the advice or not is up to you although good manners and respect is expected and if given will help you get the most from the forum. You've only made 30 odd posts over a short space of time and can learn a great deal from some of the guys on here.

Back on subject, if all you want to make are small boxes you don't need a bench at all and can use a B&D workmate, old table, saw horses etc. but I suspect that's not the case and you'll move into other areas. Also a vice though I wouldn't be without them is not " a given" and if you google it there are schools of thought that suggest alternatives.

Good luck with whatever you do and PLEASE post photos or pref video of you carrying great long lengths of wood on a bike, we all need a laugh. :)

As an aside, if you're in the Netherlands why does your profile say you're in Canterbury?

Lons":3anhemkr said:
Back on subject, if all you want to make are small boxes you don't need a bench at all and can use a B&D workmate, old table, saw horses etc. but I suspect that's not the case and you'll move into other areas. Also a vice though I wouldn't be without them is not " a given" and if you google it there are schools of thought that suggest alternatives.

I've tried workmate's, but can't seem to get on with them. Maybe I'm just using rubbish ones, but I haven't been able to get on with one yet.

Good luck with whatever you do and PLEASE post photos or pref video of you carrying great long lengths of wood on a bike, we all need a laugh. :)

Will do.

As an aside, if you're in the Netherlands why does your profile say you're in Canterbury?

When I first signed up to this forum I was in Canterbury, but moved a couple of years back, hadn't realised I hadn't updated the profile on here. Now fixed.

J

Have a look at Simon James's entertaining video on workholding for a start.
[youtube]-n_qRQlakTw[/youtube]
You probably would get better value from using some f clamps rather than the holdfasts.
Check Lidl and Aldi for those, the aldi 2 pack being much cheaper and still have the same huge threads.
I think Andrew Hunter's bench would be sensible, quick and versatile for a first bench.
Basically two trestles and a plank butting against something.
A solid core door(a heavy fire door) would do the trick if not a bit wide.
Might need to shim it and clamp it down.

Surprising what you can load on a bicycle!
Pity I couldn't have gotten the next really long load on it afterwards, but there was someone living above the skip who was slamming doors and windows.
Twas all gone the next morning :cry:

Good luck
Tom

Attachments

• December's skip 2.jpg
    December's skip 2.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 46
Ttrees":3grfv9mh said:
..........(a heavy fire door) would do the trick......

We've talked about this. There is nothing physically distinguishing a fire door from a non-fire door other than the edge seals and some signage. Why can you not remember this?

Back