work bench question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

d c

Reaction score
hi, first post here.
i plan to build a free standing workbench along the back wall in my 9' x 7' shed. the bench will be made from two or three layers of 8' x 2' x 3/4 mdf for the top with 4" x 2" rails and 4" x 4" legs. i have a quick release vice but am unsure where to position it. it will have to be on the long edge of the bench but if i place it on the left hand side in the traditional position it will be close to the shed door and not leave much space between the vice and end wall of the shed to clamp long work pieces.
my question is where would be the best position to mount it, halfway? two thirds along?
also i plan to have six legs, a pair at either end and a pair centrally, are the central pair necessary?

Hi dc,
I cannot give you any advice whatsoever on your question.............I am in the same position as you but I'm also brand new at woodworking and finding my feet,I'm also on a quest to build a bench and found the search bar on this site invaluable, I've also used utube for bench building and there are some really good videos on the subject which for me is perfect as I'm a "copy from pictures", kind of chap. Good luck.

I made my workbench out of 4x2 CLS timber for the frame and legs, and 3/4 ply for the top with 6mm sacrificial MDF cover screwed together.
The CLS was screwed and glued together to give me 4" square legs, the rails were single pieces of 4x2, the bench is similar to the one Norm Abram made (this is available on YouTube). I fitted my main vice on the left, with a york screw fitted to the right hand side, also on the left side I left quite a large overhang, this is where I store my wet/dry vacuum so it's easy to locate when sanding etc.
I fitted a shelf under approx 8" from the floor, this serves as a stored place for timber and also gives me extra weight to stop the bench moving when planing.
HTH

Welcome to UKWorkshop.

Baldhead

Edit Here it is on YouTube

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FH_qYs2E93c

I only used this for ideas, my bench is different to Norms

I'm building my workbench following Paul Sellers' youtube videos. I'm too new to post links yet so search youtube for Paul Sellers and there is a complete series of videos showing the workbench build. I'm using 4x2 CLS timber as well (actually it's 3.5 x 1.5 I think), laminated together for the top and legs and I've got an old record 52 1/2 quick release vice to go on once the frame is built.
Traditionally the vice goes on the left if you're right handed and on the right if you're cack-handed like me. I guess you just need to choose if space/usability is an issue. I would've thought it would always be in the way if it was in the middle though? My understanding is you want the bench as rigid as possible so the extra leg might help out if it's a long one. FWIW I have an old bench that I made years ago which is 8' long with a top made from 2 layers of 3/4" ply and I put a middle leg in.

d c":gds6cm2o said:
hi, first post here.
i plan to build a free standing workbench along the back wall in my 9' x 7' shed. the bench will be made from two or three layers of 8' x 2' x 3/4 mdf for the top with 4" x 2" rails and 4" x 4" legs. i have a quick release vice but am unsure where to position it. it will have to be on the long edge of the bench but if i place it on the left hand side in the traditional position it will be close to the shed door and not leave much space between the vice and end wall of the shed to clamp long work pieces.
my question is where would be the best position to mount it, halfway? two thirds along?
also i plan to have six legs, a pair at either end and a pair centrally, are the central pair necessary?

Welcome.
A couple of questions, are you right or left handed?
Could the front of the bench be level with the door frame?
I've had a problem in the past with a small shed, overcome by having any long pieces in the vice, sticking out through the open door!
4 or 6 legs, remember the legs do not have to be at the corners, 1, should be close to the vice, the others just stop it falling over! 6 legs will also be more difficult to level up, depending on the floor.

Bod

t0ne":11rynl1e said:
I'm building my workbench following Paul Sellers' youtube videos. I'm too new to post links yet so search youtube for Paul Sellers and there is a complete series of videos showing the workbench build. I'm using 4x2 CLS timber as well (actually it's 3.5 x 1.5 I think), laminated together for the top and legs and I've got an old record 52 1/2 quick release vice to go on once the frame is built.
Traditionally the vice goes on the left if you're right handed and on the right if you're cack-handed like me. I guess you just need to choose if space/usability is an issue. I would've thought it would always be in the way if it was in the middle though? My understanding is you want the bench as rigid as possible so the extra leg might help out if it's a long one. FWIW I have an old bench that I made years ago which is 8' long with a top made from 2 layers of 3/4" ply and I put a middle leg in.

I was going to suggest Paul Sellers but you beat me to it, can help by posting a link though.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD39949332C7FB168

bod...i am right handed and could make to bench deeper (approx. 2 1/2 ft as opposed to 2ft deep) to bring it in line with the door frame and then incorporate a tool well along the back. food for thought. good point about the legs.

thanks all for your replies and links, i think i will be using some of the ideas in the videos.
waiting for the weather to warm up a bit so i can empty the contents of my shed and build the bench and then reorganise things.

I wouldn't use MDF for the top, ply would be far better. If you're really set on it though use moisture resistant MDF or you could end up with a bench with a cardboard top...

I've been using 4 sheets of standard 18mm MDF ad a bench top for about 10years now and it's still holding ip well. I've also never worked in a workshop where the bench tops weren't MDF. In my opinion it's and ideal worktop material, stable and solid. If you get the type of moisture required to turn MDF into cardboard on you bench top, you have far more to worry about than your bench top.

MDF is fine. I had MDF as a bench top for years. I gave it a light coat of varnish so that when you spill glue on it and forget to remove it it will not stick and so a light tap with a sharp chisel will remove it. Also when the top face has enough holes and cuts in it you can turn it over and start again.

Back