Work bench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds a lot easier trouble is ply is SO expensive, and apparently hard to find out in West Wales . Best price I could find for 18mm birch is £100 a sheet plus delivery
Have you checked out any Architectural Salvage Yards in your area ?
Old - Solid - Windowless - Fire - Doors are pretty solid & could easily be cut to size....
They would fit on a car-roof-rack or into a friends van ?

If 4x2 are easily available I'd make the top out if them 24" deep 4" deep apron on the front?

Legs doubled up 4x2, cross bracing and perhaps another shelf half way up..

Job done....

Have you checked out any Architectural Salvage Yards in your area ?
Old - Solid - Windowless - Fire - Doors are pretty solid & could easily be cut to size....
They would fit on a car-roof-rack or into a friends van ?

Good idea I'll have an ask around, got one in just like that in the house right now. Don't think the Mrs would be happy if I had off with it .. lol

If 4x2 are easily available I'd make the top out if them 24" deep 4" deep apron on the front?

Legs doubled up 4x2, cross bracing and perhaps another shelf half way up..

Job done....

Pretty much the plan, I've got a few 4x4 left over from a fencing job for the legs. Planning on making the top 2inch thick because that's the most my vice will clamp to . Think it will be strong enough for me, I'm only sat in the shed playing with my wood , not exactly a pro

Sounds a lot easier trouble is ply is SO expensive, and apparently hard to find out in West Wales . Best price I could find for 18mm birch is £100 a sheet plus delivery
You don't need birch, just grab some structural ply from your local Wickes at £40 a sheet. You have one out in Haverfordwest area. They show no stock at present but all the other Welsh stores do, drop them a call and ask if and when they are due in?

Quarter it, glue it with buckets of water as ballast and Robert is very much your father's brother.

That's not a whole lot more expensive than a couple of cubic feet of hardwood to make an equivalent strong top. It is a little pricy but it will last a long time and it's an easy way to get started.
Top sitting on a pair of cheap plastic sawhorses makes a temporary bench to build the wooden underframe for the top to move up onto ...
You could also ask the timber merchant to cut it on their panel saw - they should be able to do this v accurately then it's easier to everyone to handle and you don't need a tracksaw to cut it down.

Do you know any builders or kitchen fitters? I've picked up off cuts of new worktop longer than that and whole solid worktops ripped out that would be perfectly OK for a bench top.
Good suggestion. I bought some boards on ebey to line the loft. turned out the guy in Bradford was a kitchen fitter getting rid of old tops etc, also he gave me for free a pile of oak off-cuts which have really come in handy. I turned down a lot so as not to be greedy, but have really benefited from the ones I took. Not found him on this forum, but decent guy sell off what he didnt want.

Is this your permanent bench to just a starter one? two thoughts on a longer term bench.
1. solid wood top would allow you to keep planing it flat so would last a lifetime, ply will be great for a few years but will eventually move.
2. For a really stable base, think about a through mortice joints for the ends both top and bottom. They don't take long to make, but you do have to take a bit of care a if you starting out. However you will need a few tools, drill, chisel and tenon saw and a mallet, and a square but not much more

I agree with the other comments which you have taken on board.
Good luck and don't worry about being perfect, you can always modify over time!

Latest posts

Back