Work bench design

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SamG340

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been playing around on sketch up looking at making a simple bench for my shed 4 foot by 2 foot by 3 foot high

4x2s & 4x4s

I'm planning on running threaded bars through the top to hold the boards together + glue. Im putting a 2 inch lip around the edge for clamps & also clamping the vice to (zyliss hobby vice )

My only concern is the outside board on the long edge hanging off so far (you can see in the close up pictures) I'm thinking with it being bolted all the way through the top it *should* be ok

do you all think that will be strong enough ? Any help appreciated

bench.png
bench3.png
bench2.png

Why not ditch the overhang put a a decent woodworking vise on the side and the clamp on vise on the end?

Just a thought...

Not a bad idea at all , the clip on I've got has a stop block with it, you can flip it over and it almost acts like a tail vise ( so I need the length at the front ). kills 2 birds with one stone & saves me messing around with dog holes . One day when space and budget allows I'm planning on putting together something a bit more pro but for now got to work with what I've got . Beats the black and decker workmate I've been living off 😁

I'd put the lower ongitudinal rails inside the legs rather than outside. Or at least do it with the one along the 'working edge' of the bench. It'll get in the way of your feet/ankles/shins if you don't.

I'd put the lower ongitudinal rails inside the legs rather than outside. Or at least do it with the one along the 'working edge' of the bench. It'll get in the way of your feet/ankles/shins if you don't.

Yep good idea will do

Move the lower rails, braces to stop racking & screws instead of threaded bar . As always appreciate the help everyone

Instead of making a "Temporary" bench; why not use the timber which you already have and commit to making a much better & more versatile "Permanent" workbench ?
I suggest that you explore "Moravian Workbench" on utube.

Would make sense to have a basic bench to assist in making that one up there though ^. My point is, just build it and progress. You can always take it up a notch but that can often result in things never happening.

Agree with the comments from others, avoid the thru-studs and bolts. Over complicated and you would be better off putting that time, effort and cost into using thicker stock for the top.

Instead of making a "Temporary" bench; why not use the timber which you already have and commit to making a much better & more versatile "Permanent" workbench ?

Looks fantastic doesn't it ! My health isn't the best & I haven't got all the time in the world ( or the space for that matter 😃 ) .. as much as I'd love to build a bench like that it's not on the cards ATM

For a quick "temporary" bench that will be so robust you'll end up keeping it for years just buy a sheet of 18mm birch ply, rip it longways and double it up for the top....
As well as being tough, it's heavy. Always a good thing in a fixed bench.
If 8x2 is the wrong shape you can always go 4 layers 4'x2'
You could park a range rover on that !

I have one of those at college, which I made from southern yellow pine for £100.

It packs flat, which I think is a great thing if space is tight.

For a quick "temporary" bench that will be so robust you'll end up keeping it for years just buy a sheet of 18mm birch ply, rip it longways and double it up for the top....
A Very Good Idea ! - Possibly mounted onto a Pair of =
https://www.ffx.co.uk/product/Get/T...Pack?msclkid=2a1221460a151c7c9a10436681293c09

Sounds a lot easier trouble is ply is SO expensive, and apparently hard to find out in West Wales . Best price I could find for 18mm birch is £100 a sheet plus delivery

Do you know any builders or kitchen fitters? I've picked up off cuts of new worktop longer than that and whole solid worktops ripped out that would be perfectly OK for a bench top.

Not a bad idea I'll ask around . Rough 4x2 from my local saw mill are £5 each need 4 for the top so would cost £20, plus lots of planing and jointing to get it all to sit together and be flat. I bet I can pick up some worktop for about the same price

Back