Words you just can't pronounce.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've heard people in yorkshire saying whAtur, which they also say in wigan but not bolton or preston, guy martin says it and he's from grimsby :D

I heard "whaaatter" for the first time in the mid 80's. I had to ask him to say again. :shock: I got it on the third go though, but possible his drinking mime helped me out a bit. :roll:

thetyreman":dqy0e2r0 said:
I've heard people in yorkshire saying whAtur, which they also say in wigan but not bolton or preston, guy martin says it and he's from grimsby :D
That's dialect as opposed to inability to pronounce and it preserves the old Anglo-Saxon pronunciation, a bit like the lowland Scots do with moose and hoose.

You lot should try gaelic...and ulster scots...just to get things rolling:

Ahoghill = Ah..hochhh..ill
Ceilidh = Kay..lee
Faughan = Focchh..ann (not what you thought!)

Now, try finding the correct spelling of the Irish girls' names, here done phonetically: 'Keeva', 'Neeve'.

Yup, wet Saturday, bored.

Sam

SammyQ":kf0iwjq5 said:
Now, try finding the correct spelling of the Irish girls' names, here done phonetically: 'Keeva', 'Neeve'.

I know Neeve is Niamh because I knew someone with the name. No idea on Keeva though so I googled it, how does one get from that spelling to that pronunciation? :shock:

Imagine being an up and coming Hollywood actor called Saoirse though.

I wonder how many people would know how the small Norfolk village of “Happisburgh” is pronounced? :-k

transatlantic":wmtg20dv said:
lurker":wmtg20dv said:
For some reason I always stumble saying specific

I know someone that pronounces it as 'pacific'

One thing that REALLY annoys me is when people add an accent when they pronounce words/place names etc from another language.

They've clearly been watching repeats of Fools and Horses and Delboy :lol:

Bm101":31s74lqy said:
Say it in Geordie Andy. Easy.
Hwa waaay pet. :wink:

Not allowed to call anyone pet these days, bloody nitpickers! :roll:

We have an Indian acquaintance who named her daughter something unpronounceable, Hermiani or something like that I think, anyway sounded to me like "howsmahinny" which is what I called her and it stuck. :wink:

Trev, I asked Da Boss ( Irish to Leaving Cert) an'she said " it's all in the faddagh an' the blahh " .... :-? At least, I think that's what she said...

Sam

Nigel Burden":12kwd6xr said:
I've never known how Doublebois near Dobwalls is pronounced.
It's obviously derived from the French two woods, or something similar.

Nigel.

Double boys.

Always makes me smile when folks put an extra R in bath & grass, also when someone who wants a Mr Whippy but pronounces scone “skon” do they ask for a kon :roll:

Interesting thread and I'd like to extend the conversation to the actual voices.

How did most American young women these days now sound like a gerbil being castrated ? Doris Day didn't sound like that. What was the catalyst to cause this ?

And it's coming here. Watching one young lady on First Dates - Valentine Special....neither I nor wife could comprehend what she was saying. So fast, no enunciation and that gerbil ...well, he won't be having any offspring. Mind you, her fella was pretty unintelligible as well.

Doug B":3ttmw7mb said:
Always makes me smile when folks put an extra R in bath & grass, also when someone who wants a Mr Whippy but pronounces scone “skon” do they ask for a kon :roll:
How do you pronounce 'wrath' out of interest ? Roth as in Tim Roth or wrath to rhyme with the funny way you pronouce bath ? :lol:

RogerS":2qqsdlos said:
How do you pronounce 'wrath' out of interest ? Roth as in Tim Roth or wrath to rhyme with the funny way you pronouce bath ? :lol:

Wroth and Wrath are different words, ones more angry than the other :wink:

Doug B":32p6pf0h said:

What proportion of the English speaking world pronounce "bath" to rhyme with "math", do you think? Yep, you northerners are in a minority.

You're committing the cardinal sin of thinking that spelling is some form of guide to pronunciation. In Spanish and Italian it is. Not in English. How do you pronounce "ghoti"?

Back