Woordrat - Router boss - Incra LS - Leigh Jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Having seen the Woodrat for sale and the link to the video , When on Youtube I spotter the Router Boss

Question is , who copied who ? They look almost identical even down to the brush supports

Also has anyone a preference as to what machine out of the 4 above is the easiest to use ? ( I know you can cut them by hand )

Cheers

The router boss is an American Copy of the Woodrat, I might be wrong but I'm not sure if the Woodrat was on an Internation Patent but there does seem to be an American Patent for the Routerboss so it must be legit I guess.

The router boss has the added features of digital postion scale, lit cutting area and laser positioning scale etc. I would wonder how many of the added improvements they have tried to make are necessary.

Blister":35a97zui said:
Having seen the Woodrat for sale and the link to the video , When on Youtube I spotter the Router Boss

Question is , who copied who ? They look almost identical even down to the brush supports

Also has anyone a preference as to what machine out of the 4 above is the easiest to use ? ( I know you can cut them by hand )

Cheers
The router boss is made by the guy who was(is) the importer for the Woodrat and was copied / developed from the Woodrat

Hi Blister:

Regarding the SomeTimeWoodWorker post, I am the guy who developed Router Boss. But, we did not do it alone. There were 3 engineers helping us and we spent more than a year on the project.

Router Boss shares many concepts with WoodRat which we previously imported to the USA, but it is not the same machine and does not share any interchangeable parts with WoodRat. We were issued a patent on our improvements and we expect a second patent to be issued this year. WoodRat has several international patents, but Router Boss does not infringe on any of them.

As James indicates, Router Boss includes several digital options for positioning of cuts. We also sold a digital option for WoodRat, but it sometimes got in the way and had to be removed. With Router Boss we were able to design the digitals so they never have to be removed. Plus, as James says, Router Boss includes LED lighting and a laser projected crosshair marking the center of cut. Also important, Router Boss provides built-in dust collection ports both behind and in front of the bit.

Note that the digital is an option. It is helpful, but not necessary. Unlike WoodRat, we also provide 24" or 600mm of rules that can be used with a cursor to positions cuts. We also provide the ability to print dovetail layouts on your computer then stick them on the rules.

We undertook development of Router Boss to provide a more robust and versatile machine for the user community. An excellent independent review of Router Boss is available on the benchmark.20m site

lstepp":3n3gnx0y said:
Hi Blister:

Regarding the SomeTimeWoodWorker post, I am the guy who developed Router Boss. But, we did not do it alone. There were 3 engineers helping us and we spent more than a year on the project.

Router Boss shares many concepts with WoodRat which we previously imported to the USA, but it is not the same machine and does not share any interchangeable parts with WoodRat. We were issued a patent on our improvements and we expect a second patent to be issued this year. WoodRat has several international patents, but Router Boss does not infringe on any of them.

As James indicates, Router Boss includes several digital options for positioning of cuts. We also sold a digital option for WoodRat, but it sometimes got in the way and had to be removed. With Router Boss we were able to design the digitals so they never have to be removed. Plus, as James says, Router Boss includes LED lighting and a laser projected crosshair marking the center of cut. Also important, Router Boss provides built-in dust collection ports both behind and in front of the bit.

Note that the digital is an option. It is helpful, but not necessary. Unlike WoodRat, we also provide 24" or 600mm of rules that can be used with a cursor to positions cuts. We also provide the ability to print dovetail layouts on your computer then stick them on the rules.

We undertook development of Router Boss to provide a more robust and versatile machine for the user community. An excellent independent review of Router Boss is available on the benchmark.20m site

OK

Thanks for the detailed update

Are they available in the UK ?
If you could PM me details / prices that would be good

Latest posts

Back