Woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike.C

Established Member
Reaction score
We have recently moved to Scotland and one of the reasons we went for this house was the dream workshop. It has two floors which both measure 26X13, and when i tell you that my last workshop was a garage and a shed you will see how pleased i am to have all this room.

Add to this a 60 second walk to the beach and a 15 minute drive to the nearest mountain, hills and valleys and i think i have died and gone to heaven.

There is (or might be) one problem though and that is woodworm. The surveyors report did say that it had been treated in the past and that in his opinion it was not active, but after speaking to him personally he also said that it would not hurt to have it treated again.

I was going to get a firm in to do it but i was then given a bottle of " Palace Microemulsion Woodworm Killer 8 concentrate" It states on the bottle that you cannot re-enter the building for 8 hours after treatment and that as well as overalls, gloves etc, you should wear Respiratory Protective Equipment. With the bottle i was also given a "28 day P2 Filter Mask" On the instructions it states that it protects against organic vapours, fine toxic dust, and aqueous mists.
My question is does anyone know if this mask will protect me? Or should i just let the professionals deal with it?

Any advice would would be great

Mike.C

Mike

Palace Chemicals are in Merseyside and have a web site http://www.palacechemicals.co.uk/ or you can ring them on Tel: 0151 486 6101, so why not give them a ring and enquire?

Incidentally, I thought that a P2 (EN143) mask was only good for dust (particulates), not VOCs and other gaseous stuff. P2s will protect against water-bourne mists, but anything which contains volatile compounds or toxins requires an EN141 (or A1) filter or better. If this chemicalk works by surface absorbtion, then you will need a full suit, breather and masks to use it. bYou may find the information on protection measures required at the HSE website here http://www.hse.gov.uk/hthdir/noframes/bluebook/annexb.htm.

BTW, I recall that the guy who treated our house a few years back came with a nylon coverall (with a nifty "rainhood"), nylon overshoes, disposable rubber gloves and a P2/active carbon filter (A1) mask.

Like the sound of your house - my idea of bliss.

Regards

Scrit

Hi Scrit,

Thanks for your reply. I think that i will leave it to the pro's because in the end they know what they are doing and have the right equipment and i don't, and when it comes right down to it what is a few hundred quid against my health.

By the way as i said, according to the info on the mask the P2 within is supposed to protect you against organic vapours, fine toxic dusts and agueous mists. But then again you seem to know what you are talking about so i will have to check with the manufactuers to see whats what, just incase i want to use it for something else.

Cheers

Mike. C

I forgot to mention that there is another set of numbers on the mask. EN405: 1993, FFA1, P2.

Do these mean anything to you?

Mike.C

Back