Woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Help, Woodworm, can i say that word or is it like the Scottish play,

I just got in from repairing the flat roof of my garage/workshop after it started leaking badly in the heavy rain we got last week. Found the hole, fixed and thought all was ok.

On closer inspection inside one of the beams holding the flat roof seems riddled with woodworm holes (and quite crumbly). None of the other beams, or the sheet material above seem to be affected at the mo.

So guys whats the best (and cheapest method) of sorting this before i lose the roof altogether?

I checked on google and some kind of boron based product would seem to do it, but at a price.

Cheers.

Aidan.

Adian, one of the best products is Cuprinol 5 Star treatment. This also protects against both wet and dry rot too. 5 litres costs about £28.99 but you can get 1 litre cans.
You can either spray it on or use a brush. In the past i have used one of them garden sprays, the sort you pump to get the pressure up, and i think that this is the best way to apply it. But make sure that SWMBO knows about it and that she cleans it out afterwards or her plants won't like it.

What ever product you use make sure you wear the appropriate mask.

Good luck i hope you sort the woodworm problem out.

Cheers

Woody

Hi Aidan,

Rain? Think I'm familiar with the stuff, hope you'd no flooding. Yes, I'd go with the Cuprinol and apply it to any timbers that you replace as well. At least two applications as per instructions on the container. Keep in mind that you'll not get deep penetration on the wood that's in situ. I've heard of people drilling small holes, say 2-3mm and using a syringe to try and get the chemical inside the wood. The garden sprayer is good for large areas but I think copious amounts applied with a brush may get better results.

Rgds

Noel

Thanks guys,

Nope no flooding here thankfully. (only benefit of living on a 1:5 hill)

I think what i shall do is empty the workshop to the drive (on the next dry day) and spray/paint then.

This will also give me the opportunity to plumb in the dust extractor with some drainpipe which i've been planning to do for some while.

So now i have to:

- Redesign the layout
- make the blast gates
- Dung out the workshop
- move the gear out
- treat the rot
- Refit
- find a dry day (s)

Should keep me busy for a while!!!!

Ta,

Aidan

Back