Woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user22161

Established Member
Reaction score
Have just bought a few lengths of spalted beech, rough sawn manky and left outside. A couple of pieces look like they have woodworm but no sign of dust around holes. Obviously going to treat all of them but wondering whether, due to roughness and manky condition, to take a light pass through thicknesser both sides before treatment. This would make it easier to spot infestation - any thoughts? Will be stored in garage to dry until I get back in autumn.

Youre not going to store it with other wood for 6 months are you?

To quote a famous cartoon character..... "youll be sooorrrreeeee"

No, not with my wood, in a neighbour's empty garage. Took a light shave off some yesterday and infestation is patchy so will give it all a couple of good coats of killer today. Problem is, how does one know if the treatment has worked?

You dont. not untill you see new holes in your most valuable pieces of wood. Thats why I use my cure all method. :roll:

Cure all = burn it? Not yet! Depending on how deep the critters go, should be able to salvage some good stuff. Picked up 2 - 8" x 2 1/2" X 8ft and 5 - 6" x 1" x 8ft for £20 so not too worried.

Back