Woodworm

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LarryS.

Established Member
Reaction score
I’m planning to build a workbench for the garage, fairly industrial in build.
We bought the house 3 years ago and in the garage the previous owner left a stack of 6x 2 (actually 145 x 48 mum).

Anyway I want a 2x 4 type construction so tonight tried the saw out on a short length as a test.

55825e53a81e17f4714675005355a785.jpg

67d5b7c115a9e2d752df8ec3c3f542e8.jpg

What I think I’ve found is woodworm. Question is if it’s been tucked away for years would they still be active ? If so does that mean the timber is for the top and I’m buying new ?

Any advice appreciated

50a9131930ad7628cda652f0fd7856da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Time or the number of holes visible on the surface is no indication as to whether woodworm is active or not. If in doubt treat it anyway. Timber can take an awful lot of woodworm infestation before it becomes weak but if you cut into the timber you will expose all of the runs which won't look very pretty but can be filled so your infested timber should be fine for the frame of a workbench but you might want to use something else for the top.
The proprietary woodworm killers will tell you to brush or spray the liquid onto the surface of the timber. I have always used a syringe and injected each hole, a tedious task but one that will ensure you kill all of the little pippers.

Yikes, this made me want to check that bunch of reclaimed timber I just received.

sunnybob":1ah7efv3 said:
Burn it. Dont wait till november 5th.

There doesn't seem to be that many holes, if that photo is indicative of the rest - I think buring what would otherwise be perfect timber for a bench is very wasteful, just treat it with the syringe method and keep an eye on it for frass. (sawdust as they exit... IF they exit)

I bought Yew that was worse than that from Chrispy when he was downsizing, it was treated and no signs of frass at all in the year since.

so i've just ripped the lot down to dimensions similar to 4 x 2, and a miracle happened. turns out there is no woodworm anywhere other than in the piece that i'd taken a sample from :)

So that piece is being chopped for firewood, and the bench construction hopefully starts this weekend !

thanks for all the advice guys, really appreciated, thankfully i may not need to use it...this time at least!

Paul

Latest posts

Back