Woodworking Youtubers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rarely look at woodworking Youtubers so thought I would have a quick look at Foureyes and chose his Xbox stand. Nice design, but he cut the shelves leaning right across a guardless table saw. That was enough for me. These people are so dangerous for inexperienced amateurs - no wonder the US tablesaw accident statistics are so horendous.

Jim

Yes I appreciate not everyone enjoys watching YouTubers, if you dont then thats absolutely fine. I don't watch them to copy them, I watch for entertainment, learning tips and tricks and for design inspiration. I generally prefer watching woodworking over most other dirge thats available. I find it at least is educational in some case.

As for the waffle, I agree this is a pain and its generally why I prefer Alm Fab and Kobeomsuk Furniture. Alm Fab has a lot less waffle than many others and focuses on the job and any talk there is is generally advice and useful knowledge and Kobeomsuk has absolutely no talking at all, purely the woodwork.
Yeah I'd go with that to, though I also look at their designs, which all designers do ,just part and parcel of creativity.

I rarely look at woodworking Youtubers so thought I would have a quick look at Foureyes and chose his Xbox stand. Nice design, but he cut the shelves leaning right across a guardless table saw. That was enough for me. These people are so dangerous for inexperienced amateurs - no wonder the US tablesaw accident statistics are so horendous.

Jim
Yes our friends from USA are notorious no guard users. I look past that and enjoy the rest of the content.

There are three groups of YouTubers:

1. Those who provide education.

2. Those that entertain.

3. Those who are click baiters.

There are some wonderful craftsmen who have produced videos which reflect years of experiences and craftsmanship. They are in the minority. Tiny minority.

Then there are those who are wannabes and present videos as if they know something, and they do this with a great fanfare. They generally are copy cats who mimic those who know something. Unfortunately, like photocopies of photocopies, their information is imprecise and sometimes dangerous.

Then there are the click baiters. Grand exciting titles, body hugging or skimpily dressed, promises of a great new secret ... and then major anticlimax as all it is a repeat of 100 other similar demonstrations or 100 same inventions.

Click baiting has two paths: those making a living out of your views, and those for whom it is a score.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Have you seen the new yorkshire workshop channel, plenty of skilled woodworking,
but this was what blew me away.

There are three groups of YouTubers:

1. Those who provide education.

2. Those that entertain.

3. Those who are click baiters.

I'd also add a 4th category for the "unboxers". Pretty much a shopping channel and they can't open a packet of screws without doing an unboxing video about it!

Not many here mentioned Stumpy Nubs, who is in my book one of the best for education. He started as somewhat joker who also did wood related things, and over the years transformed to educator. And he's spot on. Highly recomend to those wanting to learn.

Not many here mentioned Stumpy Nubs, who is in my book one of the best for education. He started as somewhat joker who also did wood related things, and over the years transformed to educator. And he's spot on. Highly recomend to those wanting to learn.

My problem with Stumpy is that he has bugga all hands-on experience. He is a video maker and not a woodworker. I suspect that he has a team advising him what to say or do, and his workshop is just a set (a very fancy one, but a set all the same). This does not make his advice invalid; it just says that he wants your viewership for the income.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I really enjoy New yorshire workshop. A bit for the woodworking but mostly for the creativity. The briquette making machine was really great. Also, I really like stavros gakos. Even though it's only plane making, it's well made and interesting to watch.

As Derek mentioned above, a lot of people are mostly copying stuff and do it with great fanfare. Some even end up with articles in woodworking magazines :dunno:

Bradshaw Joinery and Robin Clevett are the only woodworkers i subscribed to.
Like someone said earlier if you are doing this stuff all day why watch more in your spare time. Been doing it my way for
30 odd years, although set in my ways of operating i'm never to old to learn new tricks !
Good if you need to get inspired and can learn from these channels, like this year i want to get into Raised bed, no dig
organic veg growing so have been binging out on Huw Richards and Charles Dowdings video's.
Also a lot of CGI animated short films are good to watch.

I’m a professional joiner and I find Bradshaw Joinery’s videos to be fantastic. There’s not a single video of his that hasn’t taught me something new which I could then apply to my own work.

Unlike a lot of YouTubers, he clearly worked in the industry before starting his channel and inherited his knowledge from people who have been doing it their whole lives, and it shows.

I also rate New Yorkshire Workshop for being downright clever.

I got back into woodworking after many years away from when I retired and decided to refit a kitchen. Having little idea of tools now available I decided to have a look at You Tube and came across a down to earth joiner. Gid Joiner he's a time served joiner not a cabinet maker does nothing fancy but his videos are very descriptive and were a good place to start for anyone starting typical household projects.
He hasn't posted anything for quite a while though.

Pedulla Studio - YouTube

This guy has made some seriously nice pieces. I came across him from the WoodReview instagram. WoodReview is the Australian woodworking magazine. I seriously recommend following them if you're on there, they link to some amazing Australia makers all the time.

I also second Weber's Woodshop. He sold his last item for $8000 which is not bad for a hobby workshop.

probably the most creative and one of my all time favourites is mr chickadee, because it's not just woodworking, there's metal work, building, stonemasonry and the talent he has is very impressive, plus none of it would be allowed in the UK because of our ridiculous health and safety rules and building regs even on your own land you are still controlled by local councils.

probably the most creative and one of my all time favourites is mr chickadee, because it's not just woodworking, there's metal work, building, stonemasonry and the talent he has is very impressive, plus none of it would be allowed in the UK because of our ridiculous health and safety rules and building regs even on your own land you are still controlled by local councils.

I mentioned Mr Chickadee just a few minutes ago in another thread. The work I've seen him do so far is incredible. I loved the Nakashima style table he made and it's definitely inspired me not to worry about having all of the power tools to hand when you can make great furniture with a few hand tools! I just need a bench to make things on now!

Latest posts

Back