Woodworking Youtubers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
what I will say about you tubers is they seem to have little connection to my or most folks woodworking experience. the few I've watched and enjoyed are Alistair Johnson. he's a fairly earnest guy who takes stuff very seriously but limits himself to mdf built ins(pretty good though). Peter millard ditto but more how to and slightly less businesslike and morr approachable. Paul sellars good but horrible to watch(for me) the London craftsman similar to Alistair Johnson but less earnest. matthias wandell is gadgets and gizmos. I quite like the new Yorkshire guy and Bradshaw joinery just because there very workmanlike and informative.

If you have to watch youtube to be inspired..or worse to learn....you should go and annoy someone else. Cabinetry is an emotion. You are either born with it or learn it from the generation that had no power tools.

A lot have workshops full of Festool and other expensive Kit !

Some are worth a look though ...

interestingly the only person I can think of with a natural gift(for woodworking) cannot abide woodworking... hates it and refuses to do it. also his work is very set.
cabinetry is being so happy to do it that its not a job. its not being fussy like some craftsmen are or being slapdash. it's being free to make anything free from anxiety about how well your dovetails are looking or agonising over a little mistake.

This is one of very few youtube woodworking regulars that I find to be worth watching.
My German is very limited so I understand only about half of what he says but still I learn things now and then:
https://www.youtube.com/c/antik-greef/videos
As I said before....... almost all youtubers are fitted out and work in a way that seems very strange to me.

If you have to watch youtube to be inspired..or worse to learn....you should go and annoy someone else. Cabinetry is an emotion. You are either born with it or learn it from the generation that had no power tools.
My Daughter who is 30 YO and into crafts, crocheting etc made me laugh a few weeks ago when she asked "How did you learn things before YouTube?" I then had to explain that your Dad or Mum or Uncle or whoever taught you how to do things. I remember I could change set of brake shoes (remember them?) when I was 12. She has just had her first lesson on decorating (at 30) from her Mum.

I think that I must be a lot different to most of you in that I don't subscribe to any youtube channels but just search youtube for things I want to know at the time. I don't think that I have ever come across a channel that I would want to watch all the content just for entertainment.

My Daughter who is 30 YO and into crafts, crocheting etc made me laugh a few weeks ago when she asked "How did you learn things before YouTube?" I then had to explain that your Dad or Mum or Uncle or whoever taught you how to do things. I remember I could change set of brake shoes (remember them?) when I was 12. She has just had her first lesson on decorating (at 30) from her Mum.
Fortunately things like youtube are a great resource for all the kids that don't have a dad or mum or uncle or whatever that can teach them some of these things. The only person in my family that would have taught me this kind of stuff was my grandad who was an engineer in the airforce, but he was dead before I was 10.

Fortunately things like youtube are a great resource for all the kids that don't have a dad or mum or uncle or whatever that can teach them some of these things. The only person in my family that would have taught me this kind of stuff was my grandad who was an engineer in the airforce, but he was dead before I was 10.
I get a lot of inspiration from YouTube but if I'm ever stuck, my dad is the first person I call or talk too

I don't tend to surf YouTube casually as it's too easy to disappear down various rabbit holes and forget what I was looking for in the first place. I can usually manage to muddle my way through a project myself, but if I have a question I find that Paul Sellers more often than not has an answer, even though he can sometimes be a bit dogmatic - eg the great 'which way up to lay a plane' debate, though perhaps this was more evident on his blog.
I've watched a few of the others named above too as there's often a useful snippet or two on how someone else works.

Personally I prefer books as a point to of reference & learning, they come with the added advantage that they’re written by folks who know what they are talking about & not by anyone who can use a camera.

I think generally we all like youtubers that we can relate to so the hand tool fanatic in their garden shed will like someone different to the person who builds MDF furniture with a track saw.

what I will say about you tubers is they seem to have little connection to my or most folks woodworking experience. the few I've watched and enjoyed are Alistair Johnson. he's a fairly earnest guy who takes stuff very seriously but limits himself to mdf built ins(pretty good though). Peter millard ditto but more how to and slightly less businesslike and morr approachable. Paul sellars good but horrible to watch(for me) the London craftsman similar to Alistair Johnson but less earnest. matthias wandell is gadgets and gizmos. I quite like the new Yorkshire guy and Bradshaw joinery just because there very workmanlike and informative.

As I do joinery for a living and have a fairly well kitted out workshop these are the exact people I watch, you could add Mike Farrington to the list and also Keith Brown (if I fancy shouting at the tv!).

shrug
I'm 45. I predate the web entirely - it came out after I started in college. I almost predate the internet itself. I don't have a TV in the house, but I do watch a lot of hours of youtube during a week, and maybe 60-70% of it is of an educational bent - whether cooking or woodworking or metalworking or some other skill-based thing, or maybe history or something else non-fictional.

I think that youtube is probably one of the best educational resources we've built in the last few decades. I only got started in woodwork because of a Paul Sellers youtube video building a bench in his back garden. All the bowl turning I do is self-taught using youtube (not by choice, mind, covid shut down my course :D ). The inlay stuff, all the handtool work, the joined chests, pretty much everything has come from either youtube videos or other online video courses that I paid for (like steve latka's inlay stuff done by lee valley) but which I went and got off the back of youtube videos by the people involved (like all of Richard Maguire's stuff).

I mean, I'm sitting beside something like four thousand books along a full wall of double-and-triple-stacked floor to ceiling shelves, and there's maybe thirty pure woodworking and woodturning books, about a hundred cooking books, and just loads more on other topics from target shooting to amateur radio and they're a great resource as well (and better than youtube for a few topics, like electronics) but being able to watch an expert up close in good lighting doing something as they explain what they're doing? That's just an exceptional resource to have. It's like someone took the open university programmes I used to binge watch at 0600 on a saturday as a teenager and put them on fifty thousand channels, categorised, 24 hours a day, on demand, and searchable.

All the other stuff that comes with the youtube package that's negative - from the "like and subscribe!" chanting to the making a song and dance out of the video for editing purposes to the website algorithm trying to send you to pro-nazi stuff if you watch the wrong starting video and let autoplay choose the next four or five videos, well, that's where the whole "critical thinking" bit comes in and you have to exercise care in getting the stuff you want without getting the other stuff on you. I mean, if you went to a school run by the nuns or the brothers, you know negative sides to teaching aren't limited to youtube :D

And yeah, I learned to change a plug and a tyre from my father and to sew from my mother and to knit from my grandmother, but not all families are going to have (a) all those members, or (b) all those skills to pass along. And in-person teaching from an expert is also very very good, but there aren't enough experts for everyone to be able to go and watch. At least this way, we may not lose all their skills when they pass on.

Not strictly woodworking.

Positive Couple

They are from Russia and there is no talking but it's fascinating what they make using epoxy.

Sure some of the stuff wouldn't look out of place in footballer mansion but some of the stuff is pretty neat.

Music is awful though 🤣

Latest posts

Back