Woodworking Which

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, quite a few points made as to why we haven't/won't get a Woody Which.

As for numbers you have to remember that the Consumer Association ( Which?) team up quite often with similar European bodies when testing stuff that is also sold in Europe, so brands like bosch, makita etc would fall into this group. This spreads the financial load

Adam points out why not a fishing which etc etc? is valid to some extent. Maybe in time there will be one.

Obviously the economic question is paramount and 'Which' up till now concentrate on either universal goods or goods and services that the majority of us will use @ some time.

But hey, woodworking I believe is a growing pastime allied as it is to DIY.

Maybe then a 'DIY Which' ( now that would satisfy the economic questions)that could encompass woodwork and therefore increase the number of things we use to be tested

I do not wish to accept the obvious restraints imposed on UK magazines which have once again been highlighted by petemartin. I am not questioning individuals within these publications or their aspirations to be fair or independent, just that the circumsatnce they find themselves in render that 'independence' and 'fairness' as an aspiration or an intention rather than a FACT.

Its easy to be negative and say why something Can't/won't be done.

Indeed that attitude alone can kill anything stone dead.

However if everyone who read this thread emailed [email protected] about increasing tests on tools and woodworking machines we may get a result.

Whats certain is if we all say why it can't be done and do nothing thats exactly the result we will get. Nothing.

bilzee":1c5saq6y said:
I am not questioning individuals within these publications or their aspirations to be fair or independent, just that the circumsatnce they find themselves in render that 'independence' and 'fairness' as an aspiration or an intention rather than a FACT.

Good Woodworking's tests are independent and fair - FACT. Always have been, always will be - FACT. We've built our reputation as the best woodworking magazine in the UK on these criteria, especially when it comes to testing kit - FACT. Readers and manufacturers alike accept our findings as authoriative and independent - FACT. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise - FACT.

Pete Martin

My idea of a FACT is something beyond question or dispute.

UK Woodworking magazines are NOT independent, that is a FACT. They require funding from advertisers, some of which comes from the makers of the goods reviewed and tested, that is a FACT. That one of these magazines ( as admitted here) from petemartin
.........Admittedly, we do not have the clout of say the BBC, so cannot afford to be quite so scathing in our comments on poor product (such as perhaps those on cars by a certain programme!), especially when the manufacturer has just provided us with the kit to look at...........
are not as rigorous as they could be.

As I say, I am NOT imputing any person or organisation just pointing out the undesirable conditions in which I/we find that the goods that we require are reviewed.

Some might say that it is better than nothing and they might be right.

That is no reason though not to want better

Hi Pete

Thank you for taking the time to post on this forum, it is much appreciated. I hope that my posting about The Woodworker 14.4v drills on another site has not caused you any embarassment. I did not criticise the testing methods, I was only querying the models that had been selected for review or perhaps the model that hadn't.

petemartin":2jchv0ki said:
Good Woodworking's tests are independent and fair - FACT. Always have been, always will be - FACT. We've built our reputation as the best woodworking magazine in the UK on these criteria, especially when it comes to testing kit - FACT. Readers and manufacturers alike accept our findings as authoriative and independent - FACT. I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise - FACT. Pete Martin

I have 100% faith in the posting by Pete Martin. The GWW reviews that I have been particularly interested in have been conducted by Andy King and after making the purchase I have agreed 100% with his comments. Imho we are particularly lucky that such knowledgeable people as Andy King and Ralph Laughton spend time posting on this site.

Cheers
Neil

Hi Bill

For all of the reasons given in this thread, imho, we won't ever get a "Woodworking Which". I'm sorry but I think it is time for us to make the best of what is available to us.

Imho what we can do is work with the magazines and give them ideas to use in their articles. If we do this we will be helping the magazines to become stronger and helping ourselves.

Cheers
Neil

PS Don't pass any ideas onto Andy King because he just claims them as his own and pockets all of the fee for himself. :wink:

Neil

I'm not in the slightest bit embarassed by your comments about the drill tests - especially as they were nothing to do with GW, but were featured in another magazine that shall remain anonymous, but for argument's sake we'll say sounds a bit like The Woodworker! GW would never do such a thing!
Pete :lol:

From Neil
For all of the reasons given in this thread, imho, we won't ever get a "Woodworking Which". I'm sorry but I think it is time for us to make the best of what is available to us.

Hi Neil

On getting a Woody Which:

The odds are you are probably right. Though there is as much positive support as negative if you discount vested interests.

I don't think anyone questions though the desirabilty of having an independent source for Tool Comparison tests, just that its unlikely to happen.

As for "its time for us to make ..........us". Go ahead Neil, I don't have a problem with that one way or another.

It won't stop me airing my opinion though

As I have said before its not an either/or situation. We all have to do the best we can.

One thing is for certain in my mind though. If you are prepared to expect little in whatever you do, then its little you will get.

Latest posts

Back