Woodworking vice from Axminster

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Well I just built my workbench and all that is left is to fit a nice woodworking vice and dogs. I am looking at the axminster vices but I would appreciate some help to choose:

What is the difference between those 2, should I buy the cheaper one or the more expensive, is it of better quality?

http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=APTCAQRV @ £55.30
http://www.axminster.co.uk/default.asp?part=QRV7 @ £39.95

The 2 look good because they have quick release and dog integrated which I definitely want. Also, if you know that some dogs are better than others on the same catalogue please shout :wink:

Thanks in advance.

The more expensive one has fractionally larger capacity and "automatic" quick release. Capacity is important because you'll lose some of it when you fit wooden jaws, especially if it's a big meaty jaw to take dogs. I'm with John Brown when it comes to quick release though; just one more thing to go wrong. A good quality vice like a Record with a simple screw can be spung easily with one finger, so why bother? But if I was buying a vice, I really think I'd go with a Record or a Paramo. The latter have ceased production now though, and I believe Irwin have closed down the casting business in Sheffield too, so you'd probably be looking for secondhand. :?

Just my personal opinion, but I reckon the best dogs are wooden ones you make yourself. Unless you enjoy taking nicks out of your edge tools... :(

Cheers, Alf

Alf did miss the "other" British make of Parkinson (now sadly long gone) - you can still find their vices secondhand, too. Typical price for a s/h Record or Paramo in this part of the world is £20 to £30 (that's for the QR type). Check if buying s/h that the quick release works and that the screw works in both directions over the full length of travel. Look for cracked or broken castings and reject welded-up repairs unless they are VERY cheap (i.e. £10 or less). The quick release are one advantage - you can open and shut it quickly which encourages you to close the jaws after use (and one thing most of us have doubtless experienced is an watering collision with the vice at some time or other).

You may have gathered that I wouldn't recommend buying a new vice (on cost grounds).....

Scrit

Thanks for your advice lads but unfortunately in Ireland new Vices are hard enough to find so second hand is not an easy thing to find. I'll have a look anyhow...
If you know of good vice somewhere else (to buy online) I'd love to have a see it :wink:

CYC":2z0macdb said:
If you know of good vice somewhere else (to buy online) I'd love to have a see it :wink:

Your wish is my command: (Hah! Thought you'd got us there, didn't you? :p )
http://www.gandmtools.co.uk/woodwork/vices.html

Not at Scrit prices, but cheaper than new I think. Not sure what the the shipping to the Emerald Isle would be though :? Oh, and VAT is extra :cry:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":134ngtmu said:
Not at Scrit prices, but cheaper than new I think. Not sure what the the shipping to the Emerald Isle would be though :? Oh, and VAT is extra :cry:
Strewth! Well there's one at £25 + VAT which is still under £30. The price quoted is what I pay on flea markets, etc.

Scrit

Ok, Ill back you up Scrit. I bought two 4way students benches from a second hand machinery dealer complete with Record 52 1/2 vices (eight vices!) and paid £225.00. So I must have got the benches free :wink:

In the next issue of New woodworking (on sale 8th Jan 2004) I have fitted one of those Green Axminster vices to a small bench. Its not bad for the money.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

Just to say that I bought New woodworking after your comment about the improvements. I would agree that it is now much better.

The only downside was an article by that Ralph Laughton chappie. :wink: :lol:

Merry Christmas

Neil

PS I enjoyed your article very much.

Back