Woodworking Show Information

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ike, Dev etc, certainly see your point ref free entry but, if we all voted with our feet I suspect there'd be no WW shows, especially ones on the scale of Axminster. I certainly don't begrudge forking out a few quid for entry. It's no different from going to the cinema or going to a motor show, it's entertainment/information/escapism etc value and for £6 I think it's good value. Believe me, I'd be happy to go to the likes of Westpoint by car......
Haven't been to Stoneleigh but have done Ally Pally (pretty useless), Wembley (the old Woodcut show, excellent) and Glasgow (not bad). Axminster tops the lot and as Alf and others have mentioned the sheer size and chance to compare is well worth the paltry entry fee.

Noel

IKE,

I have been to some national exhibitions in the past, found them too crowded etc. and wouldn't consider putting up £30 plus again.

I still think a courtesy call to an exhibitionist!!!! should result in a compliementary ticket. BUT there most probably will always be two sides to this subject.

Ike, Dev etc, certainly see your point ref free entry

No, no, don't misunderstand me. I pesonally don't have an issue about paying to go to Tools 2004 or any other show. I was musing on the points of view.

DW,

As it happens, I'd decided against going to Tools 2004 for that very reason - I get to stressed where there's too many people, i.e. a crush as I suspect it will be for most of the time, at least it was the last time I went (Shepton Mallet)...

..but also because the tool piggy is down to a few coppers. :oops: :( :cry:

cheers

Ike

Ike, my mistake, point taken.

Noel

...maybe Tools 2005... if I pull my finger out and actually make an "oooh", "aaaah" type, something or other before then!. Got to finish rebuilding the old Landy first though (50th birthday next summer - the Landy that is, not me!)

menatnma":21nae2vb said:
Lots of interesting stuff including "£200 a square metre"

HOW MUCH!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

IIRC, isn't Yandles free to exhibitors as well as punters? If so all the more reason to support them. :D :D :D

I'll still be going to Tools 2004 though, because it's a good day out, even if I do have to drive 230 miles each way and stay with the mother-in-law... :( :wink: :wink:

If you want to look at a particular tool, you'd have to drive to see it anyway, and a supplier isn't going to pay for the petrol, are they? If you're planning on spending £1500 on a table saw, then I don't see spending £50 on making sure you get the right one for you as a waste of money.

Put up your £50 ( you live further away than me) and then find the equipment you went to see is not on show etc.
That's one of my gripes.

and stay with the mother-in-law...

I admire your cast-iron resolve to be there! At least my MIL lives 5000 miles away, hahahahahahah! :lol:

"Put up your £50"...."and then find the equipment you went to see is not on show etc.
That's one of my gripes."

But DW, you haven't bought your tickets, have you? :?

Has anybody been to The North of England Woodworking Show before

Yes, I have been each year for the last 5 years or so, since it is quite local to me.

I enjoy going up to a point. There are usually so many people there in a hall that really isn't big enough that you spend most of the time trying to get from one stand to another. When you get to the stand you want, you then have to wait for ages before you can get to the front to see what's going on or find someone to talk to. As a result it is quite easy to miss things.

I have not been particularly impressed with the so called special show offer prices, although there are exceptions. On the whole, they seem to be no cheaper than I can find at much smaller shows at shops in the area.

I have never bought any 'big' machinery from the NofE show. I tend to use it to keep up to date with what's new, select what I think I'd like to buy and then find this item in a shop where I can spend time looking at it properly and talking to someone about it without too many distractions.

I don't want to be too negative about the show though. As I say, I do go each year and have an enjoyable 1/2 day there.

There is often a queue (20 - 30 minutes + sometimes) if you haven't pre-ordered a ticket.

Given that APTC have a downer on Scheppach & Kity, how do we who live in Devon & Cornwall get to see the machines? Is Yandles now the nearest supplier?
Cheers, David

PS Sorry slightly off thread, but I'm going to Tools 2004 and wanted to see the full NMA range.

devonwoody":23fxhbkl said:
Put up your £50 ( you live further away than me) and then find the equipment you went to see is not on show etc.
That's one of my gripes.

Sure, you know who and what is going to be there? Don't you? From the website? Check it out and save any hassle. Reckon you're more gripey/griped/annoyed that there's no Scheppach at Axminster or, indeed, in Devon?

Noel

David - Yandles certainly have Scheppach at their shows - so guess they stock them.
DW - Yandles isn't too far from you is it? Not much difference between Martock and Axminster in distance. Show or no show you could see most woodworking machinery on a 2-3 hour return trip? Which isn't too bad - better than someone in the highlands of Scotland. Also check out Supra roofing in Newton Abbott - they have mini-shows occasionally.
Cheers
Gidon

Celtic Engineering in Helston has some of it, IIRC. Bit hit and miss as to what, mind you, but they claim they'll get hold of anything you want to look at. Of course this is the outfit that doesn't understand the difference between rip and x-cut handsaw teeth and yet claims to be a saw doctor, so apply salt as you think fit... :roll:

Cheers, Alf

At least the show organizers if they look in at this forum now know what some people think of exhibitions and their moans or otherwise.

Noely":ytbyx3gy said:
Sure, you know who and what is going to be there? Don't you? From the website?
Which reminds me; in the latest GWW I see they (GWW) are gracing Westpoint with their presence (a Good Thing), but I don't see them on the list (a Bad Thing). I know you're out there, Andy; I'm guessing you'll be on the Jet stand 'cos of the workshop competition announcement? Yea or nay?

Cheers, Alf

I'm guessing you'll be on the Jet stand 'cos of the workshop competition announcement? Yea or nay?
Good question! I'm not sure where we are at the moment, but i'm pretty sure it isn't the Jet stand as we are giving away Ian Dalziels workstation he built in issues 153/154 and we need a stand to display it on and I can't see Craig or Nick being particularly chuffed if we filled up their valuable selling space with it! :shock:
The Jet comp is obviously a big part of the show for us though, so we will be taking pics of the winner on the day (andy king, pill...)
No doubt i'll be there looking as lovely :shock: as ever, shaving the hair off my arms as usual!
Either that or Ian Styles may have me on the door. (sorry mate, not with those workboots, their too casual)

Andy
edit: they're NOT their! luckily, i didn't do the spelling quiz on telly last night, my kids would have given me some stick!

Unfortunatley there are not many Scheppach Stockists down in the west country,however a new stockist you may want to try down there is Westcountry Woodworking in Truro on 01726 884080 contact Jeremy Bennetts. I think they are waiting to see what to stock so maybe if enough enquiries are made to him he may stock a good selection for you West Country people.

Back