Woodworking plans

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oraclebhoy

Established Member
Reaction score
About 15 years ago, I paid for a collection of woodworking plans. Got a CD rom sent and it was full of PDF’s etc that someone had downloaded from the internet.
I lost that disk maybe 14 years and 364 days ago as I put it in a safe place 🤨
I moved house 2 times since then and never came across it.
About to move a dressing table from a bedroom into a craft room and it’s sat there in the first drawer I open to take out.
Now, all I need to do is find where I put that old laptop with the disk drive……

Hi, I’ve seen a few plans here and there over the years and never yet seen anything that’s worth making. Usually too clunky and without style. I think half the fun is sitting down with a pencil and drawing pad and brainstorming the problems and coming up with something that is unique and what you want not what somebody else thinks you might like. This enables you to use other materials as well.
People quite often ask me where I get my designs from, it doesn’t have to be difficult and the more you do the better you get at it. This visitor book stand was for a Wesleyan Chapel with Gothic windows, The initial idea and model made out of wire took about 20 minutes. The zigzag design was taken from decorative brickwork on the front of the building. Ian
7FF52ACC-C3AD-4434-AC60-19099924B425.jpeg

We all have to learn certain joint mechanisms but the design and flow of a piece is as broad has your Imagination.i prefer something one off than something simarlar to everyone else has

Haha, must admit it does look a bit like that, probably best that it’s covered up with a book most of the time! But that is the design in different coloured brick on the front of the Methodist chapel, I’m sure they would have been disgusted if they had realised what the future would bring.

Pleased you found the long lost dvd, even if you do your own thing these plans often have details of fixtures and fittings that can give you a Ahh I didn't think of that moment and for a novice the cutting lists can save a few bob when ordering timber- you know exactly what you need and with timber prices so high, wastage is kept to a minimum (y). A lot of things i try to make and occasionally get right and finished :LOL: often start out as a rough sketch on a scrap of paper and just sort of evolve from there.

Back