Woodworking Plans & Projects Magazine

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benchwayze

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Does anyone read the above magazine, and is it worth a 12 month sub?

Something to read when I've watched YouTube and Finewoodworking vids about four times! 8)

TIA

:)

I would say that the magazine does have some good projects to work on but not every issue will have something you will want to build. I only tend to buy it 5 or so times a year so I don't usually bother with a subscription.

The other content ism't to the same standard as other magazines IMO but to each their own.

My experience is that 10- years ago the woodworking magazines used to have classified adverts which were dealer orientated and there used to be pages of machines and tools with substantial discounts. This was at a time when I was building up a workshop of machine tools, it meant prices could be more competitive than prices shown now.

I think the present crop of magazines are financed by certain tool manufacturers and those discount advertisers are not encouraged, if that is the correct word!

So I haven't purchased magazines for a long time. wouldn't mind getting hold of a 5 year collection to peruse. :wink: :)

devonwoody":1vuhj8to said:
I think the present crop of magazines are financed by certain tool manufacturers and those discount advertisers are not encouraged, if that is the correct word!)

I don't think it's that anyone is 'not encouraged'. Anyone who wants to advertise is very welcome, within limits. Many dealers have found other ways to get to customers. We don't take ads from a couple of companies because they are forcing the rates so low. It is a very, very difficult time for woodworking magazines. They are suffering from a half-way house, with a migration of advertisers and readers from print to digital, but without good revenues yet coming from online ads etc... yet. We have to provide more online services and products, while still producing excellent magazines and competing on a world stage with publishers (particularly overseas) with much deeper pockets and readerships.

I don't mean to sound bitter. I'm not. I love what I do, and the challenges we face. But that is the reality of the situation.

Cheers

Nick

Some years ago, there was a new Photography Magazine that was published by a certain company in Bath.
It was rumoured, the magazine was pushed out of print by other, well-established magazines, giving ridiculously low rates to advertisers. Shame, as the publication concerned was a well thought out, interesting magazine.

Hopefully, that sort of thing doesn't go on these days. :(

Back