Woodworking lessons?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well maybe if you ask your wife to do a few more private surgeries, you can ask him to travel to you :)
dangerous territory!
actually she is passionate about delivering the best possible health care through the NHS, so no private practice...

I think there are pros and cons from doing any training in your own workshop compared with at the person providing your training
The benefits of your own workshop are your convenience and you would be working with the tools you actually have
The issues are about getting someone to travel, the space /set up you have and the type and condition/set up of your tools and possibly insurance cover
I agree that projects should be meaningful but also have to be progressive.
So taking a simple box you could develop it along the lines
Solid wood with rabetted corners top and bottom. Floating panel top
Mitred corners grooved top and bottom. Mitres can be reinforced with internal or external splines
Hinges and lock
Veneered substrate
Corner dovetailed box
By a bit of thought and design/construction variation, you could make a number of similar objects but using very different techniques. All of which could be done in a couple of days and as well as developing general skills would also show numbers of different approaches to achieving broadly similar objects
I think the key is to start with something simple but achievable that will give you a result you will be proud of. While everybody needs to push themselves to progress dont be tempted to bite off more than you can chew as this will result in failure (as seen on current TV program)
Ian

I think the key is to start with something simple but achievable that will give you a result you will be proud of. While everybody needs to push themselves to progress dont be tempted to bite off more than you can chew as this will result in failure (as seen on current TV program)
Ian
While I agree with all you say. Sometimes biting off more than you can chew will force you to get better and improve you confidence no end when you do achieve what you thought was too difficult.
I say one project in ten, bite off a bit more than you ought to.

Ollie

Back