Woodworking joints.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garywayne

Established Member
Reaction score
OK, here we go.

I have searched the best I can.

I am looking for a site that explains what the best joint would be for a particular job, and why.

I apologize if i'm not to clear. Cos I'm not none to clever wiv dat grama stuff see John.

ATB, Gary.

Have you looked in the "How-To" section at the top of this page under joints :?:

Alternatively, post details of what you are trying to join and you will get half a dozen suggestions :)

Jason

Hi Gary,

The why of choosing a particular joint is partially a "best" type of choice, but is often a design issue too.

I'm sure from looking at the sites provided you can see what joints are commonly and not so commonly made. Some of those depending on the specific application can be eliminated from consideration. Others that would be technically sound for a given application are where it gets to be a design or even a personal choice.

I have several books on the subject and each on approaches it like, well, there's this joint for joining a frame, and this one, and...you get the picture.

That's where Jason's suggestion is handy. Some idea of what one is trying to join and we can help in pointing out some options.

I've got a growing library of woodworking books and this one's one of my favorite references for joinery.

070535_lg.jpg

http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070535.asp

Taunton's books are expensive but worth it. Great pictures and diagrams. I try to thumb through my favorite books once a month or so -- just to refresh myself with things that I want to try or incorporate into my projects.

The perfect joint for a project is whatever will provide enough strength and satisfy your aesthetics.

No disrespect to anyone here nor Rogowski, but the book, like most of the Complete series, is dissapointing.

I see Rogowski often enough and I don't think he is too happy with what Taunton did either.

The main problem I see with his book, especially as relates to this thread, is it is too shallow in details. But it also has no information to speak of as to why one should choose a particular joint type over another.

Well, my two pennies worth this morning.

The main problem I see with his book, especially as relates to this thread, is it is too shallow in details.

Shallow...??

not only a comprehensive of just about every joint there is, but a host of alternative ways to make each joint too..... is shallow..?????

I'd love to see your definition of comprehensive then...

definately one of the best books I've bought in a loooooooooong time....

Hi Gary,

My favourite book (my bible) is The Technique of Furniture Making by Ernest Joyce. I find it the best of all the books I have in terms of detail and construction methods, as well as a huge amount of relevant topics for cabinet making.

Without wishing to provoke another argument :) I wonder what the professional makers out there think of the book.

E

Breadth or depth?

I think(?) I am with Mike (Midnight) here. I have seen this series knocked quite a bit but I think they are well conceived and executed, Certainly they may be accused of lack of depth but then they are very broad and what depth there is does provide enough information to work from if there is a basic understanding of the subject/techniques. This probably unsuits them to be a beginner's first texts but they make good references thereafter.

There are other books that deal exclusively with joints like Terri Knoll's and Jackson and Day's Good Wood Joints that may be of interest but I do recommend the Taunton book.

Somewhere round here in my pile'o'books is the Wood Joiner's Handbook by Sam Allen, which I find isn't bad and pretty comprehensive; just might be difficult to get hold of (I haven't looked). But the old faithful I recommend endlessly is really pretty good; namely the Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual by Jackson and Day - every woodworker should have a copy. No affiliation, etc.

Oh, and I'll join Mike(W) in sticking my head above the parapet and agreeing that the Complete Illustrated series disappointed me too. They don't seem to have enough depth for beginners or breadth for the more experienced. F'rinstance, what kind of "complete" book on furniture construction completely fails to even mention tambour doors? Taunton have published some truely great books over the years, but these are way down the list of must-haves IMO.

Cheers, Alf

:D Hello all.
Please don't fight on my account. :eek:ccasion5:

Thank you all for the links. I am still in the process of looking through them. (A lot of info).

I would like to say that I haven't got a job on the go at the moment.

I think MikeW has an idea of what I'm on about.
Mike says:-
"The main problem I see with his book, especially as relates to this thread, is it is too shallow in details. But it also has no information to speak of as to why one should choose a particular joint type over another".

What I mean is:- Joints have preferred uses. What are the uses, and why? For each joint.

Does that make any sense?

ATB Gary.

Alf":2r7pruxk said:
But the old faithful I recommend endlessly is really pretty good; namely the Collins Complete Woodworker's Manual by Jackson and Day - every woodworker should have a copy. No affiliation, etc.

Agree - I bought this a while back - great for general reference.

garywayne":1g526naa said:
I think MikeW has an idea of what I'm on about.
So have I, hence my suggestions. :D Seems the Wood Joiner's Handbook is easy to come by, now I've had time to look. The whole of the third section of the book is on joinery applications.

Cheers, Alf

From reading the descriptions, they are the same/similar in the area of joints. But the "plain" Joints one vs. the Complete one by Jackson was less cost was all I was thinking.

Mike

8-[ Hi,

First of all, I would like to apologize to Alf. :)

I get a bit confused sometimes, reading through the replies, and thinking of how I'm going to reply.(I have a really bad memory. I can think of something, and as soon as i've thought of it I forget what I have thought of). It gets very annoying. The last thing I want to do is ruffle anyones feathers.

The books mentioned so far sound like what I'm looking for. I thought I would try the library and see if they can get hold of them so I can have a look before buying.

Thank you all for your help and opinions.

ATB Gary.

garywayne":35rp4qcd said:
First of all, I would like to apologize to Alf. :)
No worries; thought maybe I hadn't gone into enough detail about them to indicate it was in response to the original query, rather than "these are better than the Complete blah blah". :wink:

Cheers, Alf

I've always assumed, perhaps erroneously, that was the relevant stuff from the Complete regurgitated. Anybody have both to confirm or deny?

Yes I have, and there is far more content in the seperate book and that goes for their routing book aswell.

Back