Woodworking Ideas For Gift/Keepsake/Memento for a new baby

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yan89

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

As the title suggests, just wondered if anyone had any suggestions beyond the standard rocking chair, cradle or high chair projects for a new baby?

Anything at all suggestion-wise is welcome!

It's a bit awkward for absolute newborns, they can't actually do anything for the first couple of months. Any toys are beyond them at least initially.

One thing that comes to mind is a toy box/chest/bench. It's the kind of thing that always comes in useful and could easily go with them during their life as opposed to e.g. a cot which has limited lifespan.

It's a bit awkward for absolute newborns, they can't actually do anything for the first couple of months. Any toys are beyond them at least initially.

One thing that comes to mind is a toy box/chest/bench. It's the kind of thing that always comes in useful and could easily go with them during their life as opposed to e.g. a cot which has limited lifespan.
Yeah that’s what I’m leaning towards now for sure. Just need to find some plans. I’m thinking a rectangular box with a bit of depth, with a couple of little floating boxes inside for the lock of hair and hospital band

I made a rattle out of oak for a colleague when she had her first baby
20220223_171103.jpg
20220223_171117.jpg

I definitely go with the box idea. with smaller boxes inside. It will be with them for the rest of their lives and possibly passed on to the next generations. I think it would be very interesting for future generations if you date it and have your name inside with a short story of the box, as well as the baby's name somewhere.
That would be a lovely personal gift, but once you start the tradition.....you might be making a lot of boxes

What fantastic ideas!! But be warned sandyn is right you'll end up making one everytime someone you know has a baby. I did a simple name for my wife's friend and its now got a little out of control! 🤣😂🤣

Attachments

• a52537f2-cd1f-4328-8e2a-055fdde1e7b9.jpg
    a52537f2-cd1f-4328-8e2a-055fdde1e7b9.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 0
  • dabfd86b-c7a2-497e-bac2-a36c6467efc5.jpg
    dabfd86b-c7a2-497e-bac2-a36c6467efc5.jpg
    220.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 378e80d3-a54c-4650-b3fb-4b081911f1ea.jpg
    378e80d3-a54c-4650-b3fb-4b081911f1ea.jpg
    146.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 35e34bc5-4fae-47fd-8cd3-c0d6815d7570.jpg
    35e34bc5-4fae-47fd-8cd3-c0d6815d7570.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 0
  • b4ddf03e-ba79-41c5-bb35-032dee9aae9d.jpg
    b4ddf03e-ba79-41c5-bb35-032dee9aae9d.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 0
I definitely go with the box idea. with smaller boxes inside. It will be with them for the rest of their lives and possibly passed on to the next generations. I think it would be very interesting for future generations if you date it and have your name inside with a short story of the box, as well as the baby's name somewhere.
That would be a lovely personal gift, but once you start the tradition.....you might be making a lot of boxes
That’s really a perfect shout. I think this is the way I’m going to go. Thanks for the suggestion!

What fantastic ideas!! But be warned sandyn is right you'll end up making one everytime someone you know has a baby. I did a simple name for my wife's friend and its now got a little out of control! 🤣😂🤣
Good for you! They look great too 👌🏻

My brother made a round plaque to fit on a bedroom door for each of our grandchildren, with their name, date of birth on it and (with a dolphin I think) routed into it.

A little bit early, still how about a Christmas tree ornament. Named of course with details. Would probably be used for a very long time.
geoff

I have made several of these over the years, some of which I have given to our local Tenovus charity shop.
The father of the lady that runs it was my best skip diver.
She told me on one of my visits that an old lady had bought one for her new granddaughters keepsake box and that she intends to have a brass plate engraved on it with the granddaughters name, birthday and birth weight
on it
P7240010.JPG
P7240009.JPG

Alan.

I still have my milking stool my grandfather made to comemorate my birth. the seat is pippy something and the legs are ash, tis clearly been made from offcuts which is fine by me! its now a lovely pot stand and its small enough there is always a place.

its x1000000 times better than the useless rosary beads my sisters were given! :-D

Edit: to clarify, rosary beads are useless for a family of aethiests, perhaps the grandparents were hopeing the faith would return after skipping a generation!

About 40 years ago my Grandad bought an entire single oak tree's worth of wood, paid for it to be stored and then each time a grandchild, and later great-grandchild, came along would have a beautiful stool made with their initials and date of birth. I have had mine all my life and it is a treasured possession. The oak has now run out, but I was delighted to find the tradition is still alive as he recently delivered a stool, albeit made of different wood, to my baby Son

Sean

About 40 years ago my Grandad bought an entire single oak tree's worth of wood, paid for it to be stored and then each time a grandchild, and later great-grandchild, came along would have a beautiful stool made with their initials and date of birth. I have had mine all my life and it is a treasured possession. The oak has now run out, but I was delighted to find the tradition is still alive as he recently delivered a stool, albeit made of different wood, to my baby Son

Sean
Love this story. Wonderful

I have made several of these over the years, some of which I have given to our local Tenovus charity shop.
The father of the lady that runs it was my best skip diver.
She told me on one of my visits that an old lady had bought one for her new granddaughters keepsake box and that she intends to have a brass plate engraved on it with the granddaughters name, birthday and birth weight
on itView attachment 140232View attachment 140231
Alan.
Hi alan

This is great - do you have plans or are you a dab hand by now with it?

I’m very inexperienced I’m afraid so wanting something relatively paint by numbers if possible

Thanks

Hi alan

This is great - do you have plans or are you a dab hand by now with it?

I’m very inexperienced I’m afraid so wanting something relatively paint by numbers if possible

Thanks

In that case definitly do a milking stool. three legs you can't go wrong!

In many ways they are perfect because they look complicated but actually pretty simple. literally a handfull of the most basic tools.

Similar the box idea but a box (picture) frame also is a lovely gift :)
I made one for my nephew - I will try and dig out the photo - but my sister put some of his keepsakes in it - hospital band, scan photo and has it on the wall.

Latest posts

Back