Woodworking DVD

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andycase

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All

I would like to get a few, or even just one woodworking DVDs. I cant, at the moment, afford to go on a course, and although i do have some excellent books, im not a great reader, to be honest. I struggle with it, so find watching the process being done a lot easier than reading about it.

Can anyone recommend any DVDs?
I am particularly interested in drawer and cabinet construction, using planes and chisels, sharpening.

I know there is a lot on line, but would like to have a DVD or collection that i can refer back to.

I am considering the Artisan course by Paul Sellers, but i will need to save for it as its about £190 i think.

You might like to log on to a number of DVDs I ahve submitted to youtube Routing with Tom O'Donnell or you may get something from my web site http://newtorouting.com

Tom
Andycase":osa9tdt2 said:
Hi All

I would like to get a few, or even just one woodworking DVDs. I cant, at the moment, afford to go on a course, and although i do have some excellent books, im not a great reader, to be honest. I struggle with it, so find watching the process being done a lot easier than reading about it.

Can anyone recommend any DVDs?
I am particularly interested in drawer and cabinet construction, using planes and chisels, sharpening.

I know there is a lot on line, but would like to have a DVD or collection that i can refer back to.

I am considering the Artisan course by Paul Sellers, but i will need to save for it as its about £190 i think.

AndyCase wrote:

There's something of each on my site at www.amgron.clara.net, mostly drawings and pics, short paragraphs with little reading required.

To me, a still pic has advantages in that you can spend as much time as you like in concentrating on one aspect of technique, with no need to rewind to grasp what has been said, though of course movement (rhythms and so on) can be shown.

Jeff

I've had a look at the first two Paul Sellers DVDs in the full expectation of hating them, but I didn't simply because his enthusiasm and sheer enjoyment of the actual wood was so refreshing. I felt the DVD suffered from quite a few gaps in exactly "how to", but I haven't seen the book and likely that fills in those gaps. I suppose his style veers more towards the watching a skilled craftsman do x or y, and working out for yourself how he's doing it. At the opposite end of the scale to that would be David Charlesworth, who explains every detail. Personally I seem to find I like certain approaches for different things. Rob Cosman got me seeing the light on dovetailing and drawer construction, but I found his mortising DVD disappointing. Found David Charlesworth's chisels DVD very thorough, but his sharpening one sends me into a coma.

This is not helpful, is it? Honestly, you'll almost certainly learn heaps from any of them; take a pin and take your pick.

There are loads of sharpening dvd's out there, all will be slightly different, and if you try all of them you'll just end up very confused and spend lots of money. Here's a link to how I do it, I've tried loads of different methods (and spent loads of money) and what evolved is the quickest and simplest I've come across.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFRJ...DvjVQa1PpcFNvN82rCyTdwNnr55kMtola1ubxx420Zp0=

David Charlesworth's DVD's are very informative but his slow, measured pace tends to send me to sleep every time. Follow David's methods to the letter though, and you will end up with sharp edges.

Rob Cosman's DVD's on dovetailing are again very informative, and probably the best I've seen on the subject, I'd buy these first as they'll give you the confidence to give it a go.

I haven't seen Paul Seller's DVD's but his videos on youtube suggest that he's a very accomplished craftsman, with quick and efficient methods, I'm quite tempted by his DVD's myself actually.

Cheers
Aled

RogerP":2bin4o8v said:
In case he's too shy to promote them himself I'll give a vote for Steve Maskery's DVDs :)
well that's very kind of you, Roger, and much appreciated, but a) I'd get a slapped wrist if I promoted my own stuff so blatantly, and b) I'm not sure that what I offer meets what Andy is looking for. I think the recommendation of the hand-tool gurus here would, perhaps, be more appropriate.
But thank you for the plug!
Steve

Two that I liked, for learning the basics, are

1. Using A Handplane by Ian Kirby (Linden)

2. Frame and Panel Construction by Graham Blackburn (Taunton)

Both by well respected English craftsmen who migrated across The Pond, as did Paul Sellars, I believe. Don`t know if there`s any significance in that?

Ian

if you can find it online, there is a series of programs called rough cut, on usa channel pbs. They are worth watching, and were free a few months back- he made a tool chest IIRC.

There is a thread on here somewhere with a link.

Back