Woodworking books

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference book on seasoning timber and how it is likely to behave subsequently. My interest has been piqued by a few recent posts and I’d like to understand it more.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on anything covering timber framed houses I will again be grateful.

Cheers

Blackswanwood":iun21maj said:
Can anyone point me in the direction of a good reference book on seasoning timber and how it is likely to behave subsequently. My interest has been piqued by a few recent posts and I’d like to understand it more.

Also, if anyone has recommendations on anything covering timber framed houses I will again be grateful.

Cheers
Why buy a book when you can search the net for free

"The Conversion and Seasoning of Wood" by William H. Brown, pub. Stobart and Son, London, 1988. May be out of print, but no doubt an internet search will find a second hand copy. It's fairly technical and written from a timber trade standpoint, but lots of useful stuff nonetheless.

For something more up to date, I'm pretty sure that Richard Jones's "Cut and Dried" will cover all most people will ever need to know about seasoning, and much more! Available from Classic Hand Tools;

https://www.classichandtools.com/acatal ... l#SID=1220

Have you ever noticed how questions about the behaviour of timber often get a detailed, scholarly answer from an experienced professional woodworker and teacher, Sgian Dubh?

He's spent years compiling his experience into a comprehensive book. It may look dear but I don't think you'll need to buy another.

https://www.classichandtools.com/acatal ... l#SID=1220

And if you have any supplementary questions, you can ask Richard on here!

if you want to really understand the mechanics etc of the process then I would absolutely recommend our very own Sgian Dughs's (Richard Jones) excellent book on the science of it all "Cut and Dried" available through Mr Schwarz's publishing company and if you take it with you to shows and are lucky enough to run into him he is kind enough to sign it

Thanks everyone. I will order Richard's book later.

Thanks also for the suggestion on timber framed houses Marcos. I'm actually interested in more the historic use of timber framing rather than modern methods.

Cheers

Robert

In that case there was a similar thread a few weeks ago. I don't remember who by but mikeg commented on it I think so a search of his recent posts will probably throw it up.

Droogs":2hayvl43 said:
if you want to really understand the mechanics etc of the process then I would absolutely recommend our very own Sgian Dubhs's (Richard Jones) excellent book on the science of it all "Cut and Dried" available through Mr Schwarz's publishing company and if you take it with you to shows and are lucky enough to run into him he is kind enough to sign it
Well, I truly appreciate the endorsements. Thanks to all three of you.

And yes, I will sign a copy if an owner puts one in my hand to do so ... but I suppose there is the possibility my signature could devalue the book, ha, ha. Slainte.

the main reason to own books is so that you can build an amazing bookcase, the books themselves also can be handy as well :D

Blackswanwood":ang5ae9t said:
I received my copy of Cut and Dried today - just what I was looking for ... although a fork lift truck is needed to move it!
Now, now. No need to exaggerate ... is there? Many thanks for buying it though, and hopefully you'll find all the information you need. Slainte.

Latest posts

Back