Woodworking Beginner

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrogden

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

I am starting a new hobby of woodworking and wood like some info on what tools to buy if possible. I will be starting building small pieces of furniture to begin with. Custom speaker stands and a stool.

I have just acquired a 2m x 0.8m workbench of which I have replaced the worktop with some 1 1/2" thick plywood (also acquired)

I am not looking at buying new tools unless absolutely necessary. I will be visiting car boot sales and generally looking on EBay

I already own -
Square, a couple of chisels, mallet, marking gauge, level.

Also, is it better to buy 2nd hand tenon and dove tail saws (brassbacked)

Regards
Martin

Welcome Martin

I also am trying to get some equipment up together so this thread is a good one

Dave :O)

To start with, a bog standard B&Q backsaw will do, and a hardpoint handsaw. Save buying the expensive stuff for when it becomes clear to you what you need, and you've had a chance to develop technique a bit.

The problem with ebay saws is that they may not be very sharp. If, in due course, you get the bug to learn to sharpen and set a saw, then there may well be bargains. But to start with, try and invest in tools that work, rather than tools that need work to make them work.

If I might make a suggestion, one good investment would be a copy of 'The Essential Woodworker' by Robert Wearing. It's very much written with the out-and-out beginner in mind. It's recently been republished by an American outfit, and as far as I know is only available from Axminster Power Tool Centre and Classic Hand Tools. It's about £16, but worth every penny. Secondhand copies of the original publication seem to fetch 'collector' prices, but you might be lucky.

OK then, seemingly you are not yet planning on going full goose looney like many of our brothers in handtooling yet. Don't worry , this will come later. You can count on lots of help on that score.
For "a begginers bit of kit" you could just look through some of the older posts. You will run into all manner of advice on what you need there. My advice is a little less kit oriented. With the tools you have and the addition of some from upcoming advice , pick a project and start learning by doing. When the need for a tool arises ,expand your tool stockpile. The important part is to pick up and use the tools.
Now , some of the basics. Ebay will provide some bench planes from the Stanley or Record brands. Older models are usually better quality. Also on Ebay you will find backsaws galore, be careful of condition issues til you gain experience in buying these. If you can afford the outlay , Lee Valley Tools has lovely backsaws and you can count on the customer service to be top drawer.
Now for the number one tool in your proposed shop, Your bench. Is it solid as a rock? If not , modify until it is. This may mean adding bracing to stiffen it up or just adding weight till it won't need to be chased around while you plane stock. Is there workholding capability such as vices or clamping available on it? Handtools like to work with stationary wood. The subject of benches can be learned from preceding threads if you have loads of spare time,I recommend a pot of coffee and a look at posts by Douglas and others for near endless ideas. If high end vices and clamps are too pricey you can make your own stops for planing and baton and wedges for clamping. The important thing here is to immobilize the wood you are working. You will have a much more pleasant experience if your bench helps you rather than taunts you DAMHIKT.

By the way , welcome to the forum (and it's various slopes).

I would be wary of spending a small fortune on saws............think about it - if you ever need to do a lot of dovetails, the first thing you will do is get a jig for a router or avoid them altogether and use a biscuit jointer.
As for sharpening them................I know how to. I also know how to make puff pastry. I do neither-life's too short. :wink:

phil.p":1k1j79jd said:
As for sharpening them................I know how to. I also know how to make puff pastry. I do neither-life's too short. :wink:
Thanks if i need any pastry i will email you :D =D> #-o lol

Hi Martin.
Welcome to the forum. I think you have arrived at the right place; although in fairness there are other fora for woodworkers.
'Nuff about that:

My first tool kit:

A Stanley No. 4.
6" Try Square,
Marking knife
Pin Hammer
Claw hammer,
Two flat screwdrivers, (Moore and Wright ratchet type)
Marples Chisels 1", 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4".
Combination oil-stone.
Carpenters' Brace and 4 augers.
Mallet
Folding 24" rule.
A steel backed tenon-saw. (Cross-cut).
And a clamp-on vice. (No real workbench).

With those tools I knocked together a dining room suite, (Sideboard, table and six chairs)
On hands and knees in the yard, I sawed out the panels from 8 x 4 sheets with the tenon saw. (Space was always at a premium!)
I'm not saying it was 'pukka construction', but it's still in existence. :mrgreen:

I was lucky enough to get the tools new, as a wedding present from SWIMBO. I still have them all, but the brace, which was stolen.

I am prepared to sort through my planes, to see if I can help you. No promises, but the offer is there.

HTH :D

phil.p":m8c8tjsv said:
I would be wary of spending a small fortune on saws............think about it - if you ever need to do a lot of dovetails, the first thing you will do is get a jig for a router or avoid them altogether and use a biscuit jointer.

Phil...

I sincerely hope life isn't even shorter with all the stress blunt tools can cause! Please tell me you are joshing when you say you don't sharpen? :mrgreen:

:D

Back