Woodworkers in Wales

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris152

Established Member
Reaction score
This is a project I'm working on with a friend:
http://thetwtbeech.org.uk/
It's an effort to establish and track the legacy of a 200+ year old copper beech that will be felled on 12th February, and we're looking to involve a breadth of artists and crafts people working with wood at all levels from across Wales. If you think you might be interested in using some of the tree, visit the site and take a look at the 'Call for Contributions' page.
Thanks, Chris

Hi Chris,
I am an amateur woodturner and "Men's Shed" member From the Ammanford area, but travel to Cardiff frequently (mainly baby sitting duties!).
Very interested, and will contact you soon via your email.
Regards
Tudor

Hi Chris, not from Wales, but just a line to support you, i think what you are doing is a fantastic idea, and wish you the best of luck
regards Tim

Many thanks all for the comments and support! We came up with the idea just over a week ago and it seems to be gathering momentum already, which is great.

Rob - I look forward to hearing from your project, if they're interested, and from you Tudor - just drop a line outlining what kind of work you might like to do/ what wood you'd need (and whether it would be air dried or green), it doesn't need to be detailed. If we need more info we'll get back to you.

If uptake is huge, we'll need to make decisions about where it goes - but it's a big tree, and the key concern is that it reaches and is used by people from all walks, youngsters and those of us not so young, highly skilled and those working wood for the first time (we're hoping to work with at least one of the local primary schools), and so on. Time will tell...

Thanks again, Chris

The project sounds much like Robert Penn's ash tree.
His book "The Man Who Made Things Out Of Trees" gives the story & is an enjoyable read.

I've not read the book but have looked at Penn's website which has really nice links to parts of his project, which looks great - and you're right, it's similar in linking one tree to diverse outcomes. We talked about it and figured our beech was different in that people here have a lot of emotional attachment to the tree (talking to people, reading social media and the local newspaper), which makes attention to its afterlife important (I think) and because, in relation to this, we're trying to get all parts of the community involved. We're also talking with a national initiative which is exploring ways of putting non-commercial wood from less managed trees (twisted limbs and that kind of thing) to good/ commercial use. So hopefully there's an ethical, even ecological dimension to the project, but we'll only really know that as it unfolds. All of which said, I'm now going to have to get a copy of Penn's book and see for myself. Didn't Radio 4 have it as book of the week at one point?
Thanks Robbo.

+1 for the Penn book, a wonderful and inspiring read. Long time since I used to have to visit South Wales for work, but it's a lovely area and it's a great project you are undertaking.

Chris152":vc7pfq58 said:
This is a project I'm working on with a friend:
http://thetwtbeech.org.uk/
It's an effort to establish and track the legacy of a 200+ year old copper beech that will be felled on 12th February, and we're looking to involve a breadth of artists and crafts people working with wood at all levels from across Wales. If you think you might be interested in using some of the tree, visit the site and take a look at the 'Call for Contributions' page.
Thanks, Chris
Hi Chris

I would be interested in being a part of this if possible.

I'm currently in the process of renovating our first house and have plenty of small projects planned. I would love to try and incorporate some beech into some of these.

I've tried looking at the site on my phone but my phone doesn't like it for some reason. I will check on my laptop later.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thanks Adam. I'd been thinking about objects that could be photographed and possibly exhibited at the end of the project (it looks like we may be getting funding for that), or things to be used/ seen in public places - but the idea of integrating some of the wood to a home could also work if you'd be able to document it. What we're saying to people is to submit a brief proposal via the email on the site, and once wood is ready to be used, we'll sift through them all and make decisions then - as I wrote above, it's not the 'best' woodworkers/ artists that the project's aimed at, but diverse participation. Hope that makes sense and seems fair.

Concerning phone access - let me know if it carries on being a problem? It seemed to work fine on mine, but that doesn't mean it'll work for everyone, I guess. (I'm no computer buff - the site's just a Wix off-the-peg one that's free - but it should work on other devices I'd have thought.)

Thanks, looking forward to hearing from you. C

This is the last section of the tree to be removed. It's now standing in the park, and it looks like the council have given the ok to leave it there for the kids to climb on. The sharp edges have been removed with a chain saw and it looks great.
_MG_6947.jpg

I'm really pleased to say we've had lots of proposals from individuals and groups to use the wood, including some from UKW members in Wales, which personally I'm delighted about. The rest of the tree's in the yard and sorting through it starts next week - we'll be in touch with those who contacted us asap!

Attachments

• _MG_6947.jpg
    _MG_6947.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 226
Is it too late to express an interest in this? I must admit I just had a Google to find where Twt Park is and was more than slightly surprised it's in Cowbridge. :oops:

Not too late, Swb - send in a proposal! We're going to have to sift through them all next week and try to allocate wood according to proposals, so there's still time. Cheers, C.

The first (small) limb was milled today, ready for four workshops and some demonstrations at a two-day wood fair we're planning in Cowbridge within the next month (details to follow).
IMG_1374 (1).jpg

We're waiting for a larger mill to do the bigger sections of the tree - we'll be in touch with people who expressed an interest in having some of the wood asap! Meanwhile, the gallery on the website's growing slowly, but hopefully that'll pick up once more wood is prepared and available:
www.thetwtbeech.org.uk
Thanks for your patience and interest,
C

Attachments

• IMG_1374 (1).jpg
    IMG_1374 (1).jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 100
The Project's running a woodcraft fair alongside Cowbridge Food and Drink festival on May 27th - 28th.
Anyone in the area who might be interested, come along and have a look/ say hello?!

There are FREE workshops, and they include spoon carving, stool making, pole lathe, shave horse, wood block printing, kids activities, carving demonstrations and a pedal powered pencil factory. Wood from the tree will be used in these.
Come along and celebrate all things Woodcraft and the Twt Park Beech Tree by having a go at making something.
You can pre-book spoon carving workshops, all other workshops are drop in.

We just set up a Facebook page for the fair:
https://www.facebook.com/events/4352484 ... 9759989191

Chris

Good question whiskywill - I just looked again at the Wood Fair page and it wasn't so clear, so I've suggested it be made clearer. Thank you.

Meantime, just pm me on here and I'll book you in. The time slots are yet to be finalised but we're now aiming for 11 am - 1 pm and then 2 pm - 4 pm, both Sunday (27th) and Monday (28th), not just 11 am - 1pm as it currently states.

Apparently Axminster will be joining us, hopefully with a demonstration or two - yet to be confirmed, but watch the Facebook page for more details if you're interested:
https://www.facebook.com/events/4352484 ... 9759989191

Chris

Quick video of fellow organiser of the project testing an Alaskan milling thing on coniferous trunk before setting about our beech.
https://vimeo.com/303901971
We were supposed to be using an all-singing etc mill to get the job done but it's broken and costs a fortune to fix.
We've not forgotten about the requests for wood, and it will be available soon, promise!

edit - cool eh?
IMG_1511.jpg

It's tricky getting the mill starting perfectly flat to the direction of cut, but once the whole assembly's on it seems to cut really well.

Attachments

• IMG_1511.jpg
    IMG_1511.jpg
    317.7 KB · Views: 64
Back