Woodworkers' autojumble?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dickm

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
At Woodex, a chap was handing out flyers for what sounded like a combination of a commercial show and a sort of “woodworkers’ autojumble”, to which folk could bring any tools or machinery they wanted to sell. It’s on Saturday 14 May, on an industrial estate at Sywell Aerodrome near Northampton, sponsored by “Woodworking Centre”, whoever they may be.

Does anyone know any more about this, anyone intending to go etc.? I was wondering about taking some stuff for disposal, as it’s quite near, but if no-one has even heard of it, that may be a waste of a half day.

Thanks for posting this one. We are the people at Sywell you mentioned, Woodworking Centre Ltd. We are not sure who was handing out the leaflets, probably one of the machinery manufacturers.
We've been here for several months, and plan our first big open day. There will be about 15 manufacturers'demonstrators on the day.

To give it a lift, we thought it would be a good idea to allow people to bring 2nd hand items to sell themselves. It will (we hope) bring more visitors, and make the day more interesting, encouraging more people next time. There is no charge or commission for selling your own kit.

There is a link to our web site giving more details on the open day which is: www.sharpend-uk.com/open_day

If you are within range on Saturday 14th, come along.

Sorry if this sounds a bit like an advertisement, but I just thought we should respond to the query.

Please call me if you would like to know more about us.
David Ashworth

Looks interesting, and relatively local too...

And I'm thinking of getting rid of the DeWally RAS as well...but, doubt there'd be people there with that sorta cash sitting in their pockets!

ashworthd":zniv69pw said:
There is a link to our web site giving more details on the open day which is: www.sharpend-uk.com/open_day

If you are within range on Saturday 14th, come along.

David Ashworth

Thanks for that, David. I was beginning to wonder if it was real, as nobody had responded to the original posting.
I've got a heavily modified RPML300 and Record dust extractor to dispose of, plus some hand tools, so will certainly try to be there. BUT will try to resist the temptation to buy other things - I even seem to come back from our local tip with more than I take!

I was wondering who was going to this event, I'm planning on being there, probably with the boss. Looks like a potentially interesting trip.

Dennis

I've just returned from this event and I have to say what a good time I have had :D

The open day was similar to a regular woodworking show but smaller and much friendlier. The principle displays were by Jet, DeWalt, Triton and Trend, with demonstrations by Liberon. West Northants turning club were drawing a crowd to their demonstration, but perhaps not quite so many as the chap with a pole lathe set up in the car park. The second hand section could have been improved by having more sellers, but a wide variety of equipment was available ranging from a dado set to a woodburning stove, with an antique stall selling the usual hand tools (seen one, you've seen 'em all) and a governess trap (minus the pony).

The atmosphere was very relaxed and everyone seemed to be smiling. There was plenty of opportunity to try out the range of Veritas planes or the electric carving tool (I want one of those). The chap selling 'Smoothies' a sort of thick fruit drink seemed to be doing a roaring trade giving free sample drinks away (they were very nice 8) ) and the added incentive of 10% discount and no VAT meant the queue to buy goodies was rarely short.

Well done Sharp End Services for an excellent open day.

Dennis

Like Jorden says, the show/sale in Northampton seems to have attracted reasonable numbers. Especially considering there hadn’t been much publicity, and signposting was a bit sparse. It looked as if there were some good offers on Triton kit.
Only five private sellers, but a reasonable selection of stuff. I managed to clear several items, but failed to resist the temptation of an immaculate Elu 177E from Norfolk. The plum log I had brought to give away was immediately seized by the Jet demonstrator to show off the paces of his large bandsaw – a very impressive piece of kit, incidentally.

Wind was bitter cold, but all in all, probably worth a visit next year if it’s repeated.

Hi everyone. Thanks for the kind words posted about the Open Day. We have taken on board the points made, and will try to ensure the signage will be better the weather warmer and shorter queues at the till (in other words we will try to devise a way to take your money faster!)

We will probably have 2 of these shows a year, and a series of mini shows, say one per month covering one or two products. If you've ideas of what we could cover, let us know. There will definitely be one next spring on 13th May 2006. Put it in your diary.

We estimate there were about 600 folk here throughout the day, which was about twice what we expected.

I am glad to know that my mate Bob with his PJ Smoothies was noticed. He is big enough you can't miss him! We will be posting some photos of the day to our web site www.woodworkingcentre.com/open_day so I hope you smiled at the camera!

Back