woodwork supplier

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayiberry

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me where I can get a catalogue for box making stuff, like hinges, locks and bandings etc. I don't know where to loo or which company to use. Thanks if you can help.

Ray

It may seem amazing but the last time I looked Screwfix did some good quality solid drawn brass hinges about 10 pairs in a box. I have a good quality ironmongers close to my workshop that I use regularly, it’s good sometimes to go and actually touch feel and test fittings, catches can be tricky things I always think. Ian

They look very good Phil. Have you used them?

I mainly use "Smart" hinges for boxes (it's usually either Smart hinges or Brusso). They're very good. The problem comes with consistency of supply, which is unfortunately very hit and miss. Plus the situation gets even worse when you factor in the other items in the range such as locks, these can be out of stock for months at a time, even before Covid 19.

There was a guy in Ireland who did something very similar and was a lot more reliable, but he's now packed it in.

Ho hum!

I mainly use "Smart" hinges for boxes (it's usually either Smart hinges or Brusso). They're very good. The problem comes with consistency of supply, which is unfortunately very hit and miss. Plus the situation gets even worse when you factor in the other items in the range such as locks, these can be out of stock for months at a time, even before Covid 19.

There was a guy in Ireland who did something very similar and was a lot more reliable, but he's now packed it in.

Ho hum!
He’s actually started up again ...

https://www.fineboxhardware.com/

Very nice, lovely quality. And a good description as well, so often you have to buy it to see how it works and whether it’s suitable for what you want or not. Ian

Neat hinges are now out of stock according to his website but Smart hinges appear to be back in stock.
If you haven't seen it, Ian Hawthorne (Neat hinge) has a box-making series on youtube.

The hardware from both looks identical.
Andrew Crawford (Smarthinge) came up with the design. Brusso do a similar hinge but it has a square knuckle which may sound like a minor thing but is quite noticeable on a small box. Unfortunately Andrew didn’t patent his design and hence it has been copied. I try and support Andrew by buying from him as he came up with the design and has been tenacious in seeking a manufacturer who can work to his high standards. He’s also a top bloke!

... I try and support Andrew by buying from him as he came up with the design and has been tenacious in seeking a manufacturer who can work to his high standards. ...

Part of the his (historic) supply issue is that he insists on getting them manufactured here. He is a great advocate for British manufacturing and his tenacity now appears to be paying off for him - well deserved.

Back