Woodwork mags

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

My husband has got into woodwork and I'd like to give him a subscription to a woodworking mag as a birthday present. Which one is best and why?

Hi Tina,

Welcome to the forum. My two favorite mags are Good Woodworking and The Woodworker. Your hubby would be happy with one of these i am sure. They cover a wide variety of topics and do some excellent tool and machiery reviews.

There is also a few members of staff that visit us here at Uk workshop.

Regards

Woody

Tina,

Welcome to the forum. I agree with Woody's recommendations and my preference of teh two is Good Woodworking. The other alternative that you may wish to consider is Furniture and Cabinet Making - this tends to focus on more complex and technical elements - not very well explained (hopefully someone can do that better)

There has been much debate about availability of magazines in shopes recently but possibly worth looking in Smiths for them and having a look at them both before deciding which one.

That said, I think he'd be very happy with any of them.

Cheers

Tim

I'd vote for Good Woorworking or Furniture & Cabinetmaking. It depends slightly on the type of workwork he does, I found its nice to have both - if I was to get one only - it'd be Good Woodworking.

Adam

I had a good hunt around for mags and couldn't find any! I saw that Good Woodworking was recomended here and decided to sign up for a subscription. Later that day I decided to try the small news agents up the road and was suprised to find The Woodworker. Haven't recieved Good Woodworking yet, but The Woodworker is a good mag, if a little aimed at the pro.

Hi Tina

No one seems to have mentioned it here but the two America magazines are recognised by most members as far superior to their British counterpart; mostly this is due to the huge readership and resoursces they enjoy when compared to UK mags. Woodworking as a hobby is very popular in the USA

The Two American mags are

Fine Woodworking (probably the best around but bi-monthly)
http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/index.asp
Popular Woodworking
http://www.popularwoodworking.com/

Both can be subscribed to online- lately the delivery of popular woodworking has caused some problems

The Brit mag has to be Good woodworking as many have said already

Hope he enjoys it :wink:

Tina Wall":1lu14j4p said:
My husband has got into woodwork
Sounds like he's in the early stages? In which case Furniture & Cabinetmaking might be a bit daunting and the US ones won't be so helpful in finding out about suppliers and so forth here in the UK. The Woodworker I get so rarely these days I can't say. Good Woodworking would be my pick too; a wide range of projects and levels of expertise covered plus you get 13 issues a year instead of 12. :wink: Been my one consistant sub since - gosh - 1996. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Hi Tina

Another reason for choosing Good Woodworking is that each month there is a section with a couple of quick projects which are usually quite simple and designed to be undertaken over a weekend. These would be ideal for someone who's new to woodworking.

It's great that you're supporting your hubby's hobby; I hope he makes you something nice in return.

Gill

I'm new to woodworking, I wondered if you could buy old copies of the magazine

Wizer
Recent back issues of GW are available from 0870 444 8472. I think they sort of guarantee to have the last 6 months issues available, and will have older ones if they haven't sold out or got rid. From time to time whole collections are advertised in the Classifieds.

I can't speak for WW, but I bet they operate a similar system. WW used to do bound annuals, I remember pawing over them when I was a kid. I don't know if they still do, but if they do, you could try your local central library.

HTH
Steve

Hi WiZeR,

As Steve says, our back issues dept stocks up to 6 months, but this is dependent on how a particular issue has sold, so it could be that some are unavailable.
We kep a small number of back issues here in the office, but it's again pot luck as to what they are. We used to carry a good selection right back to issue one, and some of these are still available (£3.80 inc P&P)Tel 01225 442244
But having recently moved offices, the lack of space/company policy/health & safety meant that we had to trim down these to a bare minimum, so most were donated to local colleges and clubs...
If there are any particular features that aren't available as the mags have sold out, we do have a photocopying service, but this is £2.50 a feature to cover postage etc.
I'm sure a discreet :!: enquiry over a particular feature will be answered by some kind member here and sorted out at far more reasonable rates! :shock:
Don't quote me on that!

cheers,
Andy

Thank you Andy. I have no particular issue in mind. But as I am new it might be nice to read back over the articles and get myself up to date a bit.

Wizer,
Up to date??? IMHO woodworking peaked out about 1850, so I dont think you'll have missed too much :lol: :roll:
Cheers
Ye Olde Phille :D

I would add my recommendation of Fine Woodworking too. My wife bought me an annual subscription to it last year, and I practically sit under the letterbox when it is due to arrive in the post :) It is an excellent magazine.

Mind you, it does depend on what you are looking to gain from the magazine - personally, I find Fine Woodworking very interesting, and it encourages me to try new things. The fact that the standard of work (and the level of skill required to produce that standard of work) represented in the magazine is extremely high, does not discourage me from aspiring to the same standard - however, that might well be because circumstances haven't allowed me to attempt some of the projects in the magazine, and my optimism might yet disappear in a cloud of sawdust and mangled tools :( I see this magazine less as a guide to getting started in woodworking, and more as an inspiration to take my existing skills and develop them further.

I have read only about one edition each of some of the UK magazines. Of those, Good Woodworking stood out as the best quality, to me. A local magazine certainly does have the advantage of providing info on local suppliers, local courses, etc., but in my case (living in Ireland) much of that is of limited use because of it being UK based, so my vote swung in favour of Fine Woodworking when it came to choosing one magazine.

I have seen Fine Woodworking, and Good Woodworking, only in the large stores here in Ireland, however the Fine Woodworking website (the link was posted by Tony earlier) is a good guide to the kind of content that you can expect in the magazine. My wife bought my subscription via the website - it was a bit problematic sorting it out initially, but once it was sorted I have been receiving every issue like clockwork.

Latest posts

Back