Woodwork design to dispense envelopes?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Littlenotes

Reaction score
Hi
Is there a woodwork design that could contain a vertical stack of 100 envelopes with a dispenser at the bottom that drops one each time upon a lever pull please? It's for a student project where I'm suggesting one of these placed in old phoneboxes at both ends of a bridge notorious for suicides. The envelope that drops out includes words of kindness. Any thoughts or suggestions whatsoever would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Peter

Just thinking - it would ideally only allow access to one letter at a time. Each letter would be written with clinical guidance so I'd want to avoid the risk of someone dodgy inserting an envelope with their own letter in it. Thinking in terms of a candy dispenser with each letter held it its own slot until it drops out. Perhaps a wheel with slots for just 10 letters inside the box? Any other thoughts whatsoever would be a great help - thanks

Just thinking - it would ideally only allow access to one letter at a time. Each letter would be written with clinical guidance so I'd want to avoid the risk of someone dodgy inserting an envelope with their own letter in it. Thinking in terms of a candy dispenser with each letter held it its own slot until it drops out. Perhaps a wheel with slots for just 10 letters inside the box? Any other thoughts whatsoever would be a great help - thanks
Haven’t got a specific design but what about something that works like the US newspaper dispensers?

If someone was in the situation of committing suicide would they be in the frame of mind 1st to go into a phone box 2nd to work out how to get a letter out of the box? then you have the silly person gang that see a box and they have to break it.
Just thinking you might be overthinking the actions of the box, I don't know what the answer is to this.

Edit: I did not write Silly person there must be one on here.

Make a slanted tube at around 15 degrees that the stack of envelopes sit in with a slot at the bottom with a cutout for you finger underneath to then slide an envelope out. use a compressed spring and a plate inside attached to the top to keep a bit of pressure on the stack to ensure the envelopes feed down to the exit slit.

Make a slanted tube at around 15 degrees that the stack of envelopes sit in with a slot at the bottom with a cutout for you finger underneath to then slide an envelope out. use a compressed spring and a plate inside attached to the top to keep a bit of pressure on the stack to ensure the envelopes feed down to the exit slit.
Awesome thanks!

If someone was in the situation of committing suicide would they be in the frame of mind 1st to go into a phone box 2nd to work out how to get a letter out of the box? then you have the silly person gang that see a box and they have to break it.
Just thinking you might be overthinking the actions of the box, I don't know what the answer is to this.

Edit: I did not write Silly person there must be one on here.
It's just a hypothetical student project I'm doing with the open university which ticks the boxes (pun unintentional) but I was thinking the box could be in wood as might be cheap to replace if vandalized, thanks for the feedback also really useful

How about a simplifed version of this card dealer filled with envelopes instead of playing cards?

If you didn't want to go down the Arduino route you could still use the same principle, ie a spring loaded wheel pushing down on a stack of envelopes that gets turned by some manually driven mechanism (some sort of geared handle perhaps?) to 'deal' out the envelopes one by one when turned.

Here's one doing the same job with a roller instead of a wheel;

And a much lower tech version;

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back