Woodwork course - I need a hug !!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mdotflorida

Established Member
Reaction score
Started my woodwork course yesterday and not a machine in sight !!

Well there was a shop full of them but we weren't allowed to use them until we do a health and safety course.

We had to cut through Mortice and tenon joints and dovetail joints BY HAND !!!!!! :shock:

Now I've cut a lot of M&T joints using the morticer, TS or bandsaw and a number of dovetails with a router and jig, but by hand, this was scarey. Indeed my first attempt at cutting dovetails had more daylight in than a Mr Kiplings pie and instead of sitting proudly at right angles, limply hung together (held by friction only I think) at more like 60 deg. :oops:

On top of that the lecturer (30+ years as a cabinet maker) demonstated how to do them in 5 minutes flat armed with only a pencil. No rule, no dovetail guide, using the shop saw and shop chisels (my pencil was sharper) and they came out really well.

Please tell me it gets easier with practice.

Jeff

Yes it get's easier, I was taught this way too, then later moved onto machines. I think you apprecaite the machines beter if you already know how to do it by hand.

In many cases making things by hand for one offs is quicker than the machine - honest.

Hang in there and remember it's all in the wrist action :wink:

you found it difficult? really?

It's Easy Peasy....

:^o

Mdotflorida":3a6k2pfb said:
Started my woodwork course yesterday and not a machine in sight !!

My evening class is exactly the same.

Well there was a shop full of them but we weren't allowed to use them until we do a health and safety course.

Lucky you, as an "evening class" person, you aren't allowed to use them at any stage of the course!

We had to cut through Mortice and tenon joints and dovetail joints BY HAND !!!!!! :shock:

Yep, it was only being forced to cut them by hand which forced me to switch over.

Indeed my first attempt at cutting dovetails had more daylight in than a Mr Kiplings pie and instead of sitting proudly at right angles, limply hung together (held by friction only I think) at more like 60 deg. :oops:

Ahh, don't worry about it, its like that for us all.

using the shop saw and shop chisels (my pencil was sharper) and they came out really well.

I too stick to shop saws, and shop chisels. However I'm getting quite expert at sharpening on a waterstone with an eye watering hollow in it, and selecting the only chisel in the cupboard that hasn't been used as A) a glue stirrer, B) a screwdriver or C) a device for finding embedded nails.

The the tutor demonstrates excellent results with such items which helps to give me confidence its the workman not the tools when I make a b*lls up!

Adam

Don't worry Jeff, it gets loads easier woith practice :D

After about a dozen tries at throuigh DTs, I had the nerve to try the houdstooth and it worked fine first time - practice is all :wink:

Jeff wrote:

Please tell me it gets easier with practise.

Yes it does and believe me one day you will wake up and be well chuffed that you too can cut them in 5 minutes (or maybe 15) flat armed with only a pencil, no rule, no dovetail guide, using the shop saw and shop chisels and they will come out really well.

Alright you may not want to cut them by hand all the time but you will be proud that you can do it when you want to, especially if like Tony you can master the houndstooth.

Stick with it mate you will be glad you did.

Regards

Woody

Hi Jeff,

Started my night class last week, the only machine we can not use is the table saw :cry: .

Bandsaws, mortisers, planer and the rest its ok to use :lol: . Just bring your project in and get to work. Tutor said when you get stuck give me a shout.
However have decided to have a go at hand cut dovetails for an oak box, had a couple of goes in pine so its oak this eve.

I've decided against doing the woodwork course I'd intended to. It's just too expensive :( .

Gill

Gill":179uhd05 said:
I've decided against doing the woodwork course I'd intended to. It's just too expensive :( .Gill

Hmm, it is expensive and not only that, my course required all three terms paying up front this year.

Adam

radicalwood":37d6s9tj said:
had a couple of goes in pine so its oak this eve.

In my defence, I think that didn't help me. End grain on cheap pine baords with a blunt chisel.

Well that's my excuse. :?

Many thanks for the confidence boosters. I have a use for my scrap bits now. Practice.

Jeff

My WW Class is more like an Adult Education scheme. You turn up and the first few weeks are shown how to hand cut joints. Then you can build whatever you want. A Pillar Drill and Disc Sander are availilbe, other than that its all hand tools.

Signed up again for this year but not sure what I am going to make yet (it starts in 2 days).

Thanks guys and you were right, it does get easier !!! :D

I have spent a good part of the last 2 days practicing and the combination of decent wood and decent tools makes a huge difference. I did even search for my camera to post a pic, so proud was I. Unfortunately the wife has gone away for the weekend and taken the camera.

I am making a seven drawer mission style dresser as part of my coursework and I am thinking of dovetailing all the drawers by hand. Maybe this is just a reaction to repetetive practice and a tad ambitious, but I think I can make a reasonable job of it now and even if it's not perfect, i'll be proud of it.

Have even bought my own dovetail saw !!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Someone tie me to lump of cast iron with an electrical flex quick.

Jeff

Back