Woodwork Bench Build (Using Only Hand Tools) - Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Quick question guys, thread has inspired me to upgrade my bench from 18mm ply. Can I laminate 2x2 timbers on top of my ply and put an apron on the front or do I need to do a full strip down and rebuild?

Cheers James

I can appreciate the effort you've put into this having made a small box entirely by hand. From a small log,riven, chiseled, planed, over and over and finally scraped and sanded it is a considerable amount of effort needed, and quite rewarding too, when you have the finished item, and to know like those carpenters a thousand years ago, it was made entirely with the tools at hand and the sweat on your brow.
I know there is nothing greater a feeling of completion, in this line of artistic endeavour.

You may well also say at the end of it.....
...Sod ever doing that again :LOL: :LOL:

Assuming the bench is sound and that the ply is not mid major delamination and that the small extra height will not be an issue then avoid a rebuild (if these Q+A's are ok) It sounds unnecessary to do the extra work for no measurable benefit.

I can appreciate the effort you've put into this having made a small box entirely by hand. From a small log,riven, chiseled, planed, over and over and finally scraped and sanded it is a considerable amount of effort needed, and quite rewarding too, when you have the finished item, and to know like those carpenters a thousand years ago, it was made entirely with the tools at hand and the sweat on your brow.
I know there is nothing greater a feeling of completion, in this line of artistic endeavour.

It's an acquired taste.

Many thanks Triton, I’m on board totally with what you have said. Now that I’m pretty much finished (apart from doing a dog for my vice and some dog holes in the top), I’m very much looking forward to doing some pottering for a while for a rest, maybe do some restoration projects or have a good sort and tidy.

It was damn hard work but so satisfying when looking back at it completed.

Kind Regards… Rob

Hi Grant, yes they do. Slight bow but nothing major. Paul sellers uses these particular ones and puts a bit of wood through the centre to give it a bit more rigidity. I got them from Amazon.

Amazon 36” sash clamps here

Rob
I've got the Rutlands versions (same only black) and ripped some softwood to size and fitted as Paul Sellers recommends. This does make them stronger and they are very useful as a medium duty clamp.

I've got the Rutlands versions (same only black) and ripped some softwood to size and fitted as Paul Sellers recommends. This does make them stronger and they are very useful as a medium duty clamp.
Good to know it works thanks Mike as it’s on my list of projects to do.

Rob

It looks a million Dollars Rob, I think the use of BLO was a good one, brought out the colour of the Oak beautifully, and it’s a good nonslip surface, and will stop the dirt.
Can’t remember if you fitted a planing stop? or maybe you have another plan. Ian

It looks a million Dollars Rob, I think the use of BLO was a good one, brought out the colour of the Oak beautifully, and it’s a good nonslip surface, and will stop the dirt.
Can’t remember if you fitted a planing stop? or maybe you have another plan. Ian
Wow, many thanks Ian, much appreciated. Regards a planing stop, I am actually thinking about it to be honest (amongst other things). I’m probably going to get my vice dog done and some dogs in the top first and then see how I get on. Adding and improving as I go is what I’m planning to do. I’m going to be taking it easy for a short while now as its just about broke my body.

Any work I do in the coming weeks and month will be in the ”pottering” and “fannying about” category! 😂🤣

Rob

Glad to say, I’ve now got it in position and some tools on there. I’ve also now created and installed the dog for the vice from oak. Here,s the vice before I restored it. Also, it didn’t work but does now. Just got some dogs holes to drill opposite the vice.

Funny thing is, now that it’s finished and I’m more than happy with it(also that it nearly broke me), I can’t bear to even put a cuppa on it let alone risk doing any projects in case I dent or scratch it 🤣😂

C143DB3F-3E53-4537-AC6B-8DCE676632EC.jpeg

2C230348-CE94-4EC0-B449-D605749FAFC3.jpeg

7907CBDB-EB58-41D1-A1BE-3D0C4BEB6CBB.jpeg

89B489A7-E1C0-4687-A517-E0F8F28798FE.jpeg

1067096E-1024-415E-AD24-A21E19374FF1.jpeg

Glad to say, I’ve now got it in position and some tools on there. I’ve also now created and installed the dog for the vice from oak. Here,s the vice before I restored it. Also, it didn’t work but does now. Just got some dogs holes to drill opposite the vice.

Funny thing is, now that it’s finished and I’m more than happy with it(also that it nearly broke me), I can’t bear to even put a cuppa on it let alone risk doing any projects in case I dent or scratch it 🤣😂

View attachment 125732
View attachment 125733
View attachment 125734
View attachment 125735
View attachment 125736
Looks fantastic. I completely understand your predicament. I’m still the same 20 years on despite the bench having developed a lot of atrocious dings.

Latest posts

Back