Woodwork Bench Build (Using Only Hand Tools) - Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I'm relatively new and when I joined the forum, I mentioned that I'm building a Paul Sellers inspired work bench. Somebody then suggested that I put a thread up so people can see progress. I'm building it ONLY using hand tools so its hard work. Well I'm half way through right now (Nov21) so I will post some of the previous progress images so people can see where I'm at. I will then post new progress as i go.

Really welcome any comments, good or bad.

Kind Regards... Rob.

13TH OCTOBER
IMG_0542.jpg
IMG_0541.jpg

Hahaha.. You arent kidding Fitzroy and my back is in bits too. Can't wait for the day I have a proper bench made by my own hands. Loads more planing to come yet!!!

Rob

That’s really impressive Rob, all credit for sticking with it, it’s going to be so very useful!
just say you need a proper beech mallet for mortises like those, that soft hammer can’t give you the umph you need.
What vice arrangement are you planning on? Most are more easily fitted at this stage. Im just over the river if you get stuck, Ian

You're ahead of me! I work almost entirely by hand, but skimmed ash (with a thickness planer, no jointing) and just glued it together. The lack of desire to build a bench (rather than have one) and the poor quality wood that I got (fair comment, though - it was only $2 a board foot for 8/4) solved making by hand.

If you manage to batter the dog holes on white pine, though, you may get to do it again. At this point, if I did mine again, I'd do it entirely by hand - just not in the mood at the time.

(a few folks here - before internet forum era - got large rift sawn pieces of beech and made a two piece 4" thick bench top, which greatly lightens the load of making by hand. The cost of dry slabs like that now is greater than the effort to glue them together, though).

That’s really impressive Rob, all credit for sticking with it, it’s going to be so very useful!
just say you need a proper beech mallet for mortises like those, that soft hammer can’t give you the umph you need.
What vice arrangement are you planning on? Most are more easily fitted at this stage. Im just over the river if you get stuck, Ian
Many thanks Ian, much appreciated. Regards the vice, I have a 1963 52 1/2 D that I have just started to restore so will update on that.

Kind Regards..........Rob

You're ahead of me! I work almost entirely by hand, but skimmed ash (with a thickness planer, no jointing) and just glued it together. The lack of desire to build a bench (rather than have one) and the poor quality wood that I got (fair comment, though - it was only $2 a board foot for 8/4) solved making by hand.

If you manage to batter the dog holes on white pine, though, you may get to do it again. At this point, if I did mine again, I'd do it entirely by hand - just not in the mood at the time.

(a few folks here - before internet forum era - got large rift sawn pieces of beech and made a two piece 4" thick bench top, which greatly lightens the load of making by hand. The cost of dry slabs like that now is greater than the effort to glue them together, though).
Hard work and I’m constantly battling using hand tools when I’m surrounded by power tools! Still, it’s a challenge and ironically, I’m enjoying it because it’s hard not easy.

Many thanks Ian, much appreciated. Regards the vice, I have a 1963 52 1/2 D that I have just started to restore so will update on that.

Kind Regards..........Rob
Oh good a proper one, different ways of fitting one and we all have our "must be done this way" ideas so be prepared! Ian

Back