• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Woodwork Bench Build (Using Only Hand Tools) - Progress

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
Hard work and I’m constantly battling using hand tools when I’m surrounded by power tools! Still, it’s a challenge and ironically, I’m enjoying it because it’s hard not easy.
It may not be clear yet, but you are building serious neural development in your arms, hands, brain, hips...whatever else it may be. The fastest way to get good at the fine work is to do a lot of the coarse work by hand early on, because the cost of inaccuracy or overdoing something is so evident and so fast. To rough saw 8/4 lumber and do it accurately so that planing is minimized is more difficult than cutting clean dovetails, but it's not more difficult to do rough sawing. Just to do it in a way that will minimize you're following on with a plane, and then the work keeping the plane in the cut and breaking chips to avoid unnecessary follow-on to that will make you better with a plane.

You're giving yourself free instruction more or less that you couldn't get from any guru at any price (partially because none of the gurus actually do much hand work - they do the work that beginners will do).

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score
looks brilliant Rob! I'm planning the same build sometime in future once I've finished my other project so very interested to see this.
Martin

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
It may not be clear yet, but you are building serious neural development in your arms, hands, brain, hips...whatever else it may be. The fastest way to get good at the fine work is to do a lot of the coarse work by hand early on, because the cost of inaccuracy or overdoing something is so evident and so fast. To rough saw 8/4 lumber and do it accurately so that planing is minimized is more difficult than cutting clean dovetails, but it's not more difficult to do rough sawing. Just to do it in a way that will minimize you're following on with a plane, and then the work keeping the plane in the cut and breaking chips to avoid unnecessary follow-on to that will make you better with a plane.

You're giving yourself free instruction more or less that you couldn't get from any guru at any price (partially because none of the gurus actually do much hand work - they do the work that beginners will do).
Wise words DW, thanks for that… Rob

Molynoox

Established Member
Reaction score

interesting comment (y)
Martin

Orraloon

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice going on the bench. You are well on the way to a seriously good bench. The hard work will pay off as things get much easier and comfortable to do on a good solid bench.
Regards
John

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice going on the bench. You are well on the way to a seriously good bench. The hard work will pay off as things get much easier and comfortable to do on a good solid bench.
Regards
John
Thanks John. Yes looking forward to completing it to be honest.

Rob

Hornbeam

Established Member
Reaction score
Great write up and really good progress.
Your picture with the router shows how to set up and final pare teh sides of tennons for a really good fit as discussed in another thread, If you put 2 tennons end to end you can do 2 at once with no risk of teh router tipping .
Great work

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Great write up and really good progress.
Your picture with the router shows how to set up and final pare teh sides of tennons for a really good fit as discussed in another thread, If you put 2 tennons end to end you can do 2 at once with no risk of teh router tipping .
Great work
Many thanks Hornbeam. It will be little steps now as my shop is freezing and some of my spare time is taken up with Christmas stuff... Rob

sawdustandwax

Established Member
Reaction score
If you can work it into the design of your bench I have a 7 foot length of 6x4 inch beech you can have gratis. Ideal for some bench dog holes along the front, if you're putting in a tail-vice? It's rough-sawn and will need planing, if can stand anymore of that!
Great work btw, and reminds me to build a proper bench from the rest of it.

Cabinetman

Established Member
Reaction score
If you can work it into the design of your bench I have a 7 foot length of 6x4 inch beech you can have gratis. Ideal for some bench dog holes along the front, if you're putting in a tail-vice? It's rough-sawn and will need planing, if can stand anymore of that!
That’s a really kind offer you are making the op, I know he wants to do it all by hand, but I can add to your offer by saying he can bring it over the river to have it surfaced and thicknessed at mine if he wants. Ian

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
Wow, thats unbelievably kind and generous. Its very humbling and very much appreciated for offering. That said, I don't think I will be able to incorporate it anywhere to be honest as I already have my aprons laminated together and they are ready to square off and plane, then it's tackling the well board and fitting the vice.

Kind Regards... Rob

Dynamite

Established Member
Reaction score
That’s a really kind offer you are making the op, I know he wants to do it all by hand, but I can add to your offer by saying he can bring it over the river to have it surfaced and thicknessed at mine if he wants. Ian
Yes, totally agree, it's very kind, as is your offer too Ian, it's much appreciated and kind of restores faith in humanity a bit to be honest. I only hope one day I can offer a kind gesture to you both on similar lines.... Rob.