Woodturning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark123

Reaction score
Hello all!
Im new to woodturning but I have been using my friends lathe. I have been looking at getting my own lathe, I only have about £500 to spend. I live in North Devon most of the lathes are 4 or 5 hour drive from here, seen a Poolewood lathe I like miles away, or a myford ml or nw8 lathe local. But I don't know what to buy as a lathe! Hellp?

Hello Mark and welcome. Remember that in your budget you also need to consider some tools etc as well as just the lathe. Perhaps your friend will lend you one or two chisels to get you started?

Have you seen the getting started post: https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/new-to-turning-help-safety-forum-information-t42854.html

I believe the Poolewood lathes are fairly heavy duty, and its great to use a heavy lathe but its more effort getting it from A to B after purchase...

Myford and Polewood are both good lathes, and you should be able to get something reasonable for your money, especially secondhand if one turns up near you. Two things you might try. One is to visit Axminster (in Axminster, Devon) and get some advice. They're a good firm and won't push you, but might have something suitable. The other is to see if there is a woodturning club not too far away, where you could both use machines and gain experience.

Good hunting!

Keith

If you’re in north Devon you might like to enquire about a visit to the Max Carey woodturning trust based in Portishead. Maybe too far to travel but they have over 20 lathes in a teaching workshop so will be full of advice.

They normally have a significant waitlist but may be able to facilitate a visit / one off.

Simon

I would first join a local turning club which is affiliated to the AWGB- there are several in Devon I believe.
Most turners are a friendly bunch and for around £25 a year subscription its good value and you’ll learn a lot. They also often have lathes for sale and usually several you can have a go on at open nights
You’ll then quickly get a better idea of what you might like to start out turning and what type of lathe might suit you to start with.

North Devon woodturners meet just outside Barnstaple and they have several lathes up for sale on their web site. Including a complete CL4 set up for £500 which could set you all up in one go!

Hello Malcolm.
Thank you for your advice I took a look on North Devon Woodturning site, and seen the ad for the record lathe.
So I sent an email, and now I have a Record wood lathe came with all things! can't wait to set it up.
thanks agian
Mark

MusicMan":9mxmshmh said:
Myford and Polewood are both good lathes, and you should be able to get something reasonable for your money, especially secondhand if one turns up near you. Two things you might try. One is to visit Axminster (in Axminster, Devon) and get some advice. They're a good firm and won't push you, but might have something suitable. The other is to see if there is a woodturning club not too far away, where you could both use machines and gain experience.

Good hunting!

Keith
Thank you Keith.
I viewed a record cl4 yesterday and it was brilliant lath, hopping to collect today or monday.
Thank you for your help
Mark

That's a good lathe (I have the earlier version) and will serve you well. When you set it up, be careful to get the rods flat (or at least equally tilted) and parallel - check with a spirit level. If it came with the Record stand it should be easy, ;ess so if on a homemade bench. Good that you got all the bits. Send us a pic when you've set it up!

That lathe should do you well & with all the extras included it seems to be good value for the money.
You might have to do a bit more than hop when collecting though :)
I think Keith means bed bars when he says rods.
Presumably the friend, who's lathe you used, will be helping you set everything up, but if you have any queries, this forum is probably (like the best lager in the world) to get answers.

Mark123":2a2m0ohg said:
Hello Malcolm.
Thank you for your advice I took a look on North Devon Woodturning site, and seen the ad for the record lathe.
So I sent an email, and now I have a Record wood lathe came with all things! can't wait to set it up.
thanks agian
Mark

That's awesome! Glad to have helped.
I had a CL4 as my first lathe and only recently upgraded to an Axminster 1628. And I only did that 'cos I got a great deal and for the slightly bigger swing over bed. The CL4 does most things really well and has great torque. I only once swapped the belt speed over to a lower one as I found that the middle speed would do everything I threw at it including using a bowlsaver which does put a lot of pressure on the system.
I used sandbags on a DIY shelf at the bottom of the pressed steel frame (which is quite light if your lathe comes with one) to dampen vibrations.

It does not come as standard with a headstock hand wheel which I always found a little annoying. However I just discovered that RP do sell a handwheel which you can screw into the headstock thread for £30 - see here CL4 Handwheel. If this fits the version of CL4 you get that is something I'd recommend getting, just to make life a wee bit easier.
Let us know how you get on!
Happy shavings

Back