Woodturning on download

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blister

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Apparently you can now get Woodturning mag via download to either a android , ipad or iphone

and through itunes apps store

or

www.pocketmags.com

One introductory issue for £1.79

6 for £13.99

or 24 for £24.49

Each paper mag costs £3.75 so 24 issues would cost £90

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I've not been that impressed with other mags I've downloaded, the iPhone is definitely too small to read a magazine on, and the iPad is also a little on the small side so it takes quite a bit of manipulating the mag around the screen to read.

I'll download the introductory issue once the next one comes out however just to see if this is any better than the others I've read (I already have this month's in paper format).

Cheers
Aled

Blister":30ii4u5k said:

£72 if ya subscribe

& according to a mate who works at a phone store, one of the commonest accidents befalling mobiles is them being dropped in the loo. Think I`ll stick to the magazine, lot cheaper to replace than me i-phone :lol: :lol:

Plus if the articles arn`t that good the magazine pages can be recycled whilst in the smallest room :shock: :lol:

Must admit I don't subscribe to any magazines, mainly because there is always a limit to the articles that are of interest. I just buy the odd one now and then when there is something that grabs my attention. Also agree that reading on a phone is awkward long term. Don't read in (or on) the loo so that's not a problem LOL.

Pete

Blister":k9890zhh said:
Apparently you can now get Woodturning mag via download to either a android , ipad or iphone

and through itunes apps store

or

http://www.pocketmags.com

One introductory issue for £1.79

6 for £13.99

or 24 for £24.49

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Interesting to know where you got your figures from Blister as it's £1.99 on that website for one and something like £26 for 12 months. I'm going to investigate this a little further as there was one month's which I've mislaid so I bought it, and found that the download is the magazine complete with ads. Another site that I quickly looked at just did all the editorial content which is much more user friendly.

Rob

Hmm - that's as said a bit ironic; there must be a token number there or something as that is not the prices on the website. I didn't buy this month's copy as it didn't have anything in it that interested me; perhaps I'll go and have another look.

I went back to the website this evening and found that it is not possible to print off a copy, which is totally useless when you are going to want the article in the workshop, so it's a con. You can use screen capture software, but that's not the point.

I've found another site which has a digital copy
http://www.magazine-group.co.uk/media/f ... odturning/

but this seems to an advertising ploy rather than a digital download, and is locked just to one month; interestingly that doesn't have the adverts, it loads instantly, and has a page print facility.

Rob

Blister":1erpjml5 said:
Its in the Jan 2012 issue no 235

page number 3 , Mark Bakes comments :wink:

Thanks Blister - I'll pursue that.

I now need to eat some humble pie and say that I quite incorrectly slagged off the viewer on the pocketmags site. For some reason they have the option to button select either "New Reader" or "Old Reader" - now don't laugh but I took it that I was the reader, and as a "New Reader" I needed to use that button the first time I went to the site to download something , and thereafter I was an 'Old Reader'. Of course this was wrong - doh!! - but one does wonder why anyone would want to use an old version of the viewer program, and why it should be offered.

Anyway the new Viewer does include a print facility, rapid access, but does show all the magazine advert pages.

Rob

Ours must be a very funny household?

We have phones that actually make phone calls, cameras that take photos, kettles that boil water and all sorts of other things that do what they were actually meant to do.

What the hell is all this carp of magazines on phones that take c r a p photos and distract drivers while they are playing games and watching videos while they are driving?

Ludites! Please come back, you will be welcomed with open arms! But not whilst driving :shock:

Oh, and we actually still get newspapers on that stuff called paper 8) How cool can you get 8) 8)

I have never seen the point of these things trying to recreate the "paper experience" on electronic devices. All they do is muliply the limitations of paper whilst ignoring the benefits (cut & paste,movies, links etc.) that can be had from proper electronic formatting i.e. HTML.

I will never buy one of these magazines electronically until they provide proper formats.

paultnl":349mi74i said:
I have never seen the point of these things trying to recreate the "paper experience" on electronic devices. All they do is muliply the limitations of paper whilst ignoring the benefits (cut & paste,movies, links etc.) that can be had from proper electronic formatting i.e. HTML.

I will never buy one of these magazines electronically until they provide proper formats.

So I take it then that you are quite happy to buy and collect 90+ paper pages, of which you will read less than 20, and then add all those pages to the bulk on a shelf of which equally you have read less than a quarter. Does that make sense in this day and age of attempting to cut down on the use of materials?

Rob

Blister":1squem0s said:

Well you are quoting correctly - as if I doubted you would be !! :D , but that's not what the website is charging. Has Mark got it wrong or is there something that I am missing on the website ? Email to Mark called for - will do and report back.

Rob

OldWood":1mmn1zea said:
Blister":1mmn1zea said:

Well you are quoting correctly - as if I doubted you would be !! :D , but that's not what the website is charging. Has Mark got it wrong or is there something that I am missing on the website ? Email to Mark called for - will do and report back.

Rob

I got an acknowledgement from Mark almost immediately saying he didn't know anything about this discrepancy and he would look into it. That was Thursday last week. Nothing since then ! I'll give him a day or so more then chase him up.

Rob

Rob

Send him this photo :lol:

IMG_1379.jpg

Maybe its his age :mrgreen:

Will do better than that, Blister - I'll send him the link to the thread, which will of course include your scan !

Keep you posted.

Rob

Picking up on why have electronic books.......

I have thousands of proper paper books and would be lost without them as the experience of actually holding the book and turning the page in anticipation is half the fun.

However, as I seem to be doomed to spend an inordinate amount of time in hospitals, the ability to fill my laptop (iBook of course - old but still great) with several thousand (50,000 actually!!! a high proportion seem to be rubbish but it still leaves a few goodies) science fiction books means I keep what little sanity I still have whilst incarcerated. I strongly suspect that trying to carry that many books would not improve the state of my back.

The books, combined with iTunes and digital copies of my entire music library, means I will survive the torture.

It has its place.

Latest posts

Back