Woodturning chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphy

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi, I have just bought a new lathe JetJWL 1220 VS which has a 1X8inch thread, I have a Record nova G3 chuck which is 3/4x16 fixed thread which is brand new, so I bought an adapter from axminster which fits fine but am worried about the extra distance from the headstock and the extra weight, will it damage the bearings , should I get a direct threaded chuck 1x8 and sell this one. Thank you

The increased distance from the headstock will put more load on the bearings so comparing like for like, the bearings will wear out quicker. How much quicker will depend on how much you plan to use the lathe and how much turning of things with a long overhang from the chuck you will be doing.

Thanks Paul, I think I will get a new chuck, Record do the same chuck with the 1x8 thread, is Record a good buy or is there another you would recommend as I am new to turning,

Hi

Don't think about replacing your chuck - providing the adaptor is tightened to the chuck and the chuck to the lathe spindle you will notice no adverse effects. Bearing wear will be accelerated to a small degree if you are turning unsupported, (bowls), but not, in my opinion to a degree that would warrant replacement of your chuck.

Regards Mick

IMHO I can't see an issue, I've got an adapter on mine, it's used every week, it must be over 10 years old now at least.

Back