Woodturning Autumn 2015 challenge

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grahamshed

Established Member
Reaction score
The Autumn Challenge is for a Drinking Vessel. Paul Hannaby has kindly agreed to judge this quarter’s Challenge,

Challenge Requirements: Drinking Vessel

This month’s rules are:-

1. The Challenge is open to anyone and everyone.
Entries must be new and made specifically for the Challenge.
2. Entries must be made of wood which must be turned on a lathe using woodturning tools.
3. The drinking vessel can be any type, size or shape.
4. Segmented turning, piercing, carving, colouring, pyrography and texturing are allowed for this challenge. However, the judge must be able to see your turning skills!

Please post three images of your work together with details of the wood used, the tools and methods used to make it and any key dimensions. A special ‘Entries’ thread will be started for this at the appropriate time.

Images needed:-

1 showing a general view of your entry .
1 view of the inside of of he vessel
1 view of the bottom of the vessel
A fourth picture may be added (but is not compulsory) if needed to show any other interesting details of your entry.

Image size - please use image size 640 x 480, as in previous challenges

Please upload your pictures and description to the ‘Entries Thread’ between 10pm on the 26th September and 10pm on the 28th September.

Please also send me a PM giving me your own opinions of 1st, 2nd and 3rd places amongst the entries (other than your own) between 10pm on 28th September and 10pm on 30th September (for me to compile the entrants’ scoring).

Any queries , questions or comments on this quarter’s Challenge, please use this thread. Discussions on the theme are welcome.

Ornamental is fine so long as it is obviously a drinking vessel of some recognisable type. It does not need to be 'sealed'.

{thats me making an executive decision :) }

Well I have managed to start my drinking vessel today looks like it could be a long job I may be biting off more than I can chew this time but will have to wait and see.

I've actually finished mine! Just been trying to get around to taking piccies for the last couple of weeks. Must try harder.

Graham, I've surpassed myself this time and actually completed the piece AND photographed it all ahead of time. Unfortunately I will be out of the country with unknown internet capabilities during the upload period. Is there any way I could upload the piccies/spiel to somewhere unseen for safekeeping beforehand, so that they could be added to the thread at the required time? I could host them on the web and pm you a link if that would make it possible.
Of course I can't guarantee that it will be worth entering into the challenge!

dedee":12covuv4 said:
It is taking me longer to take a decent picture than to turn the vessel.

Take it on a clear back ground preferably a single colour. Light blue or white works well. See my latest project HERE. If you take it with a load of clutter in the background it will draw the eye away from what you are trying to show. If your camera has White Balance that can be altered then set it to custom and point the camera at the background you are going to use a press set then take the photo.

Back