Woodturning Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoyWoodworker

Reaction score
Seen a few pre Christmas offers on Wood Turning Lathes, but as a complete beginner, I am not sure where to start.
Also if I brought a Lathe what else would I need? Any help or advice appreciated.

Seen a few pre Christmas offers on Wood Turning Lathes, but as a complete beginner, I am not sure where to start.
Also if I brought a Lathe what else would I need? Any help or advice appreciated.
Depends on your budget. Keep it simple and cheap?
These would be good for a long time, slightly more than you need for starters Faithfull HSS Turning Chisel Wooden Boxed Set, 8 Piece
This OK for starters - if you get into it you could move up without losing much money Scheppach DM600-VARIO Electric Wood Lathe 230V
Then you need sharpening kit - it can be done freehand on a stone but slowly. Some form of linisher or belt sander the easiest power option.
You'll probably get a lot of enthusiastic advice to spend, spend, but just have to resist!
My favourite book is Percy Blandford's "Woodturning". From the days before the mass enthusiasm for endless expensive add ons.

Last edited:
I like my myford ml8.....

Great lathe, nice and strong, simple to operate.

Cheers James

I did a course before buying mine. Or possibly shortly after, which is the wrong way around, but I already wanted to make round things.

I did the Axminster one; it showed me that the things I wanted to do could be done with what comes with the lathe, a very small number of turning tools, some method for sharpening them (I went Tormek, other fine solutions exist) and one chuck with one set of jaws. I've not added much to my turning setup since.

The keith rowley book is great snd advocates the same advice as above, dont go buying lots of kit.....
Phills suggesion of a turning club is a great one, even if you are hrll bent on buying a lathe, it takes experience to learn, which is best done with guidance.

I bought all secondhand ( apart from my first set of chisels about 24 / 25 years ago )

Ditto Keith rowley book....I started 2 years ago after retiring from engineering. Being an ex turner I wanted to try wood...so after being given an old sealey single tube lathe and spending £25 on some old gouges off gumtree...started to practise...
Eventually ended up buying an Axminster 355 bench lathe...(big enough for my needs) and I am now selling items I turn for a local cemetery Tr︅ust︅.

Certainly a beginners course first. It's surprising what you can do with just a centre, parting tool, roughing gouge and a spindle gouge.
Just starting with these without a bit of training can be frustrating, even off putting, but you can actually do a lot with basic kit.

Beware though, if this hobby grabs you as it did me, your bank balance will take a big hit, as you build up accessories.

As others have said, the extras can massively out strip the cost of your lathe, but it is great fun.

Take time, some training, lots of patience, lots of practice, some effin an blindin, more practice and then you'll get into the fun of it. More accessories and lot less money 🙃🙃

I found UK workshop, scrolled down to the woodturning - lathes forum, and started reading. I didn't get through all 600+ pages and didn't read all the topics but I did learn an awful lot.

I spent about £300 on a lathe but you need the same again for even the most basic chuck, tools and a way of sharpening.

I would happily spend more now for a heavier variable speed rather than belt change lathe but improving my skills rather than spending money on a machine will make a bigger difference so I am sticking with what I have.

A starter set of tools if you are getting into the hobby is a good call as a well specified set gets you the basics, and let’s face it, when you’re starting out you don’t know what you need. Also they are a lot cheaper per tool that way.

I can’t agree with Jacob’s suggestion. It’s an overpriced generic Chinese set and who knows if they are any good.

This set is made in Sheffield, cheaper and many people (including me) can tell you they are decent quality.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-woodturning-tool-set-106153
If you have Christmas present money burning a hole in your pocket, this is a cracking set on sale for not much more:

https://www.axminstertools.com/crown-cryo-turning-tool-set-211384
The lathe from screwfix is probably a step up from the notorious Aldi one, but not much of one. I’d highly recommend getting some hands on with a course or club so that you know what you want before buying something like that.

A starter set of tools if you are getting into the hobby is a good call as a well specified set gets you the basics, and let’s face it, when you’re starting out you don’t know what you need. Also they are a lot cheaper per tool that way.

I can’t agree with Jacob’s suggestion. It’s an overpriced generic Chinese set and who knows if they are any good.

This set is made in Sheffield, cheaper and many people (including me) can tell you they are decent quality.

https://www.axminstertools.com/axminster-craft-woodturning-tool-set-106153
If you have Christmas present money burning a hole in your pocket, this is a cracking set on sale for not much more:

https://www.axminstertools.com/crown-cryo-turning-tool-set-211384
The lathe from screwfix is probably a step up from the notorious Aldi one, but not much of one. I’d highly recommend getting some hands on with a course or club so that you know what you want before buying something like that.
I thought for the price the Faithful looked OK. They are full size and HSS. The Axi set are smaller. Haven't had hands on either so I don't know for sure.

Buy second hand. If you get on with turning and want to build up kit, keep your eyes peeled on ebay and gumtree.
I had a good set of 6 chisels from years back, but recently decided to get myself set up for turning again. I got lucky and got 7 or 8 chisels ( mix of sorby and henry taylor ) for 25 quid! When i went to collect the guy gave me a basket with a couple of tool rests and a 4 jaw chuck with extra jaws!!
I had to spend 35 on a backplate blank and another 60 getting it machined to fit my lathe, but overall still a fantastic saving.
Chisels often go cheap on ebay

Back