Woodst*r Divar 55 Plunge Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lastminute

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone..I took the plunge (pardon the pun!!) and bought the Divar 55 with 2 tracks and joining kit (£213 from NMA)
Not used it yet but on sliding the saw along the track, it does seem to be easily 'tipped over' into the second channel (on the left of the rail!).

The base glides along on both of the yellow plastic tapes, which is fine, but this 'tipping' action can only be overcome by applying concentrated pressure directly

over the yellow tapes....which may seem obvious, but slightly annoying!!

Meanwhile, I'm trying to think of ways round this.

One thought would be to remove the yellow tapes from both channels and fit 2 lengths underneath the saw base on both outer edges.

This would ensure the saw gliding along without fear of 'tipping'.

I've not tried joining the rails together yet, although having tried the connector, it is a little sloppy....maybe using longer ones would improve the joins!

I will try it out when the weather improves!!...under my carport!

..hope this has thrown some light on the new market entry!

Regards
Gerry

For an extra £75 you could have a DeWalt and a single track. Send it back while you still can.

Not sure about the Woodstar, but my Makita has a little slide lever thing that locks the saw into the track so it doesn't fall over when bevel cutting, there are also two adjustment wheel things to tighten the saw into the track and reduce its lateral slop, with two tracks joined it's normally at this point where any missalignment of the tracks is noticed, loosen these back a touch (just a tiny bit) and it's fine.
ATB
Marc

Hi, just to let you know i got to use my woodstar divar 55 today for the first time. I used it to cut some 18mm plywood. Like previous reviewers have said there is no anti tip on the saw although this caused me no problems at all. The saw glided very smoothly along the rail and uses a similiar system to the dewalt for adjustment of the saw to rail. Its a very easy saw to push down when operating. Dewalt accessories also fit perfectly on to the rail. ie Clamps and 90 degree guide. Most of the saw dust comes out of the dust port so with suitable dust extraction should collect almost all of the dust. For me i am very happy with my purchase.

Cheers Neil

Keep us posted, I am hoping to be in the market for a plunge saw and track soon.
When the boat comes in as it were.
How does it function when not used with the rail.

chunkolini":1w32lu9i said:
Lopping planks to a rough length?
I tried it once - it's difficult to plunge the saw down before the cut and hold it with the base resting on the edge of the plank. I bought a fence for my saw from ebay and haven't used it since as it's easier and more accurate with the guide rails.

hi, for anyone who is interested, there is a optional anti tilt adapter available for the woodstar divar. I spoke to a gentleman from nma this morning who is going to get back to me with price and availability. I will let you know when i know more.

cheers neil

lastminute":2s1gp0xm said:
"...... on sliding the saw along the track, it does seem to be easily 'tipped over' into the second channel (on the left of the rail!).

The base glides along on both of the yellow plastic tapes, which is fine, but this 'tipping' action can only be overcome by applying concentrated pressure directly over the yellow tapes....which may seem obvious, but slightly annoying!!"

Hi Gerry,

It's probably just me but I can't quite figure out how you're positioning the saw's base plate onto the guide rail. I just want to check something with you that might well be stating the obvious but the square channel on the base plate of the saw fits over the square ridge on the guide rail. On the upper surface of the saw's base plate, on the left, are two yellow swivel cams (one fore and aft) that once the base plate is located on the rail, can be turned to engage under the inside lip of guide rail's far left ridge. Now any tipping will also tip the guide rail along with the saw itself. Your addition guide rail should not have only contained the guide rail joining strip, but a stop and two clamps to hold your guide rail(s) onto the work piece to be cut.

Since you say that you haven't as yet tried a 'real live' cut, it couldn't be that the riving knife is levering the saw's base plate up off the work piece as you're trying to push the cutting blade down to start a mid section cut. What worries me a bit is when you go on to say......

lastminute":2s1gp0xm said:
".... Meanwhile, I'm trying to think of ways round this.

One thought would be to remove the yellow tapes from both channels and fit 2 lengths underneath the saw base on both outer edges. This would ensure the saw gliding along without fear of 'tipping'."

Yikes!!! I must be misunderstanding something.

Hi, new to the forum but joined to ask about this divar saw as there are no reviews online!

Has anyone else used it? could you compare it to the makita one? I can just stretch to the makita but I am only going to be cutting straight lines with it so maybe this will be fine? its for home use not professional.

If I get this instead of the makita I can also get a biscuit jointer :)

thanks for the help.
Neil

Whilst researching track saws I found a review comparing the Makita SP6000 and the Woodster Divar 55. It's in German, unfortunately for those of us that are mono-lingual, but Google/Chrome translate function should assist there.

Go here: Woodster v Makita track saws and translation.

Iv had a 55 for a while, i just use it for sheet work. I cant realy folt it for the price
You pay, iv heard bad things about the dewalt from a few mates who have them.
Another mate has a mafell an thats great but he has plenty money. As build goes
Its not the best quality but like ronseal it does what it says on the tin. Saying that
It got nocked of some trestles on site an still works ok. Remember the old addage,
U get what u pay for!

Thanks for the post and opinion on the 55.

I only plan on using it for sheet work and hope to view/handle the 55, Makita and similar at my local tool store shortly before purchasing.

Does anyone know if the makita or festool splinter guard is compatable with the woodstar rails?

Back