Woodshop refurb...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Starting off in mid-Sept with a mammoth job of reinforcing the 'shop floor, I'm just about ready to start making stuff again in some sort of a serious way :roll: . So starting off with the Tool Wall, which has remained substantially unchanged, though there are:

HandtoolbenchSMALL.jpg

...one or two new trinkets 8-[ :-" on the bench that I've been playing around with. Moving onto the Sharpening Bench:

SharpeningBenchSMALL.jpg

...nothing has changed here either, except the Tormek has now been shifted next to the SS films. All work surfaces have been remade as well, including this one, using 18mm ply, mahogany lipping and 3mm Oil Tempered hardboard over the top to make a smooth surface. On the other side of the door:

PillarDrillandmetalworkstationSMALL.jpg

...is the new Jet pillar drill with the Ax table. Big hand to Tiddles for helping lift this onto the bench. Going round to the right...

IncraBandsawSMALL.jpg

is my original Incra bandsaw on a new stand, with a dedicated extractor underneath. Next along is:

Jet260ptSMALL.jpg

the new Jet 260 p/t, complete with a 'Boblock' Having played with the 260 this afternoon all I can honestly say is ...'wow!' The Jet is extracted by the DX system:

DXsystemSMALL.jpg

...powered by the Camvac 386. Much to my surprise, the Ax lid thingie sits directly on top off a 210l water butt and by fitting a couple of 90deg elbows inside the butt...it actually works. There's nothing inside the Camvac except a minute amount of dust. Don't do what I did though, and switch the Camvac on with all the gates shut :oops: :oops: ...the vacuum almost squashed the butt flat and it took some beating with a lump hammer to get it more or less round again. Anyone spot where I've missed a gate? Going round clockwise again is:

JetdiscsanderandRecordLatheSMALL.jpg

the new Jet disc sander and Record Midi lathe, again sitting on a custom made bench and further round is the:

Startrite352EbsSMALL.jpg

Startrite 352E complete with on of Ian's long lasting M42 blades. In the centre of the shop is the new Charnwood W650 table saw:

CharnwoodW650SMALL.jpg

CharnwoodW650andtakeofftableSMALL.jpg

with it's new take-off table and dedicated Sheppach extractor. This is a great saw, 'specially when fitted with a Wealdon 40t blade :mrgreen: It's dead accurate, but did require some fettling to get it even better. There's still some stuff to do on it (zero tol insert plate, new riving knife and guard) and there'll be a router table later on where the side table is at present

Big, huge thanks to Tiddles, Bob9fingers and Harbo (Rod) for all their invaluable help, guidance and muscle in getting a lot of this gear into the 'shop and setting it up. Comments, as ever, appreciated - Rob

That is a very nice collection of kit and the dust extraction must be fantastic as I can't see a speck of dust. No I'm not envious (if you believe that, you'll believe anything!!!)

Looks a good sized shop too - how big is it?

Thanks for the guided tour. Looks like a really well organised and laid out workshop.

Thanks for the nice words thus far chaps...although it looks big, it's less than double garage size being 20x12' externally, so the interior dimensions (due to the insulation in the walls) is around a 100mm less. I've found that if everything is positioned correctly, stuff will fit in without having to use stands on castors. For example, the Jet 260 is positioned in such a way that timber passing through the thicknesser bed clears the Inca Euro 260 by 20mm and the DX bin by the same amount on the other side. Long stuff for the table saw gets pushed through the 'cat flap' in the door. The biggish space in front of the Startrite is for two reasons, the first being so that the AirPress bag can be laid on the floor (on a stand) and secondly, so that bigger projects can be assembled in a slightly larger space. The only two things that are mounted on castors though, are the AirPress stuff (which sits in front of the timber) and the new little unit by the side of it racked out to take all my G and F cramps. The only problem I do have is storing large sheets of ply and mdf, but I guess I'm not alone there...they get stored in the utility room in the house - Rob

Great set-up Rob, glad to see my marking gauge on the tool wall. :)

You put me a bit to shame, as I have not yet posted photo's of my shop or the Roubo bench I made this year. :oops:

I am excited about the Axminster tool open day next year, but worried that the date may clash with my annual golf holiday which is always around that time. Participation will also preclude a trip a few weeks later to the Yandles spring show, although I was thinking that a trip to Yandles could be organised as part of the visit to Axy on a two day jolly.

We will have to see how it pans out.

Cheers, Tony.

Tony, the UKW visit to Ax is going to be a good one, but I had no input on deciding the date (09 Mar) which was set by Ian Styles - Rob

>>>>>>>>> Jealous >>ME ! :D :D

Why does everyone elses workshop look better organised than mine ....probably because they are I guess...

Looks great ...well done

Looks fantastic! So tidy and organized!

Out of interest why did you decide to line the walls in mdf? I only ask because I am
looking to do mine ASAP and looking at the options. No offense but my first guess would have been that mdf would look a bit dull and not do much for the light, how is this for you?

Was thinking either birch ply left au natural or something else painted white.

fraser":3blvex3u said:
Cheers Rob

How do you rate the rockwool? I am considering using this in my shed, need some decent sound and heat insulation. Sound more important than heat really.

Walls, ceiling and floor?

John
Pretty good stuff, easy to use, just cut it with a kitchen knife to get the slabs to size. Quite good sound insulation properties as well (or so my neighbours tell me) 100mm fg in the roof which is lot nastier to handle - Rob

Congratulations on the completion of your new workshop, it looks super and no doubt will soon have a dusty outlook when you have built your timber store and stocked.

If anyone could develope my 5 x5 mtr double garage for me like that I would be in heaven.

Well here's mine, in 'mid-rejig mode'.
In fact, hardly started.

More pics as I progress. Probably in a separate thread if anyone might find a single-garage shop interesting.

Total floor space 17' 6" x 9' (The extractor will be going under the stairs top left corner. Otherwise that is wasted space.
Spot the deliberate mistake... (homer)

Attachments

• General View.jpg
    General View.jpg
    232.7 KB · Views: 856
Back