Woodrats on Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
aldel":32nt6g5j said:
There are currently two 'Rats for sale on Ebay!!

- and two more just completed in the last 2 days - is there some Pied Piper somewhere flushing them out ? :lol:

Normally you only ever see one every month or two - & they ALWAYS go for silly money no matter how used they are :(

True Roger but the reserve was not reached at £300+ last time I looked.

I did bid for the one that has gone, but the price became (once again) ridiculous for what you actually are buying

One on ebay went for £396 second hand with no cutters

Auction fever, or market value for something that is even more bloody expensive new and scarce secondhand?

That's £3 less than a new one was in Rutland's New Year 20% off sale - or was direct from Woodrat before they changed their distribution model. Not bad depreciation for extant owners!

Jake

Tony

I see what you mean. It's at £360 and the reserve is still not yet reached!

Looks like I really got a great bargain when I bought mine off eBay...'off-plan' as it were.

I guess it depends on how much one is prepared to pay for one. If you definitely want one then any price under the 'new' price must be good, surely?

Roger

Roger, I agree with your point but, as an engineer, I feel that the Rat is very much overpriced for what it actually is (ali extrusinon and a phenolic plate + a few knobs). Clearly others feel differently to this.

I hope to buy a Rat one day as I really think it is a fine piece of kit, but it is not likely that I would pay more than circa £250 for a secondhand unit

<i>Looks like I really got a great bargain when I bought mine off eBay...'off-plan' as it were. <i/>

As someone who had spent a couple of wasted dollars on a snipe on that 'rat, I do wish you would keep ebay rule-breach gloats a little further under your hat.

Jake.

Breaking my rule about no smilies for this one. :wink:

Tony":1e0yagnc said:
Roger, I agree with your point but, as an engineer, I feel that the Rat is very much overpriced for what it actually is (ali extrusinon and a phenolic plate + a few knobs). Clearly others feel differently to this.
If you're pricing it on the basis of the raw materials, then yes, it is. But then so is practically everything else, including the Incra...

Cheers, Alf

Alf":8k6i18d2 said:
Tony":8k6i18d2 said:
If you're pricing it on the basis of the raw materials, then yes, it is. But then so is practically everything else, including the Incra...

Cheers, Alf

Not really pricing it on the materials Alf, more the technology and manufacturing involved. I mean, they use a piece of wire to adjust in the x direction. Low tech but high price :wink: :lol:

Make no mistake, I would buy one tomorrow (literally) if it were priced below £300.

Sorry, not raw materials exactly (it was early), but component parts. Someone has had to come up with them in the first place, design and manufacture. And then to a certain extent you're paying for the idea too, aren't you? If it was that simple surely everyone else would have come up with it, no? Plus I don't doubt, if it was made and assembled elsewhere, it'd be cheaper. But yep, of course it'd be nice if it cost less.

Cheers, Alf

I read somewhere that the actual material worth of a human is ...about 60p? (that'll be £1.20 for John Prescott then)

On second thoughts - no, ...he's worthless.

dedee":2a5hyzlz said:
surely an item, any item, is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it.

Andy

Agreed and I'm not prepared to pay more than £300 for a rat (wood or other) :lol:

I have to admit I can't quite work out your reasoning Tony. You seem to have identified the 'rat as "simply overpriced". You've heard people here rave about its functionality - probably 20 times more versatile than say a Leigh (for example) although no doubt less suited to production speed (so as to appease the Leigh fans - I'm not starting an argument here), and yet its similarly priced - with all those extra functions. I think you could easily argue its underpriced, relative to the wide range of tasks it can perform.

At risk of repeating myself - pasted from another thread "
I mean basic Leigh machine? £300? Finger Joint template = £235, Set of three "isoloc = £430, Leigh M&T jig £630.... You ain't gonna see any change out of £1600 for all the bits? (I know it's a bit cheeky to include the M&T, but it comes "for free" in the 'rat!!! Laughing So... instead of thinking the 'rat is expensive, you could, in a way, consider it just a third the price of a Leigh, with all that additional flexibility and functionality.

The woodrat always gets knocked for cost, but if you add up the price of all the individual bits of the Leigh - it's real expensive, and for every extra function you need, you have to buy a "new" bit, or template, or whatever. I like experimenting and trying new things and ideas out on the 'rat. I made some monster joints for the garden gate a while ago."

I realise the above is up for argument, but it is at least a bit valid. I simply can't see how the Woodrat can be viewed as expensive, when other systems, particularly the Leigh work out more expensive to achieve the same breadth of functions.

Adam*

*I'd like to note that the Leigh will speed you through things much quicker, and as Aragorn showed recently, in a pro-shop cutting loads of joints its unsurpassed, but in my workshop, a "one-function" only jig/template/tool is hard to justify in space and cost.

Latest posts

Back