Woodrat!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frank
The trouble is that I do a mug of tea per joint, for a complex joint or dovetailing a box, it can take a pot of tea per corner :) .........And I just cannot afford the Tea anymore........So I think I could possibly pay for the equipment from the savings in tea :wink:

Bean

hand cut d/tails on the rat ?? and no neathandrales charging towards me dragging their knuckels out to kill this blaspemer :shock: alf have they all gone into hibenation for the winter, :twisted:

ps what time do they get up to try and wind them up :twisted: :twisted:

pps mr bean can you not use a long tube to a tea urn then this will save you having to stop to make more tea :D

frank

Bean":izxttezr said:
And can you cut tube on a wood rat :wink:

Bean

Yes, it'll make dowels apparently :shock: :p

Just need to turn up on their side, and drill the holes out!! :twisted:

Adam

I'm sure the woodrat is an excellent tool/jig but it seems to me that so called "Ratters" feel they must justify spending such a large amount on one jig."You can do this, you can do that" etc. It reminds me of when micro-wave ovens were new, gadgets galore were being sold for such things as boiling eggs,omelettes and other daft applications when in fact there were much simpler ways to cook.Mirowaves have their place, as does the "Rat" but I don't think it is the answer to every joint in woodworking. I'll go stand in the corner now before the said "Ratters" descend upon me in force.

Hi jaymar

jaymar":1mg2577y said:
I'm sure the woodrat is an excellent tool/jig but it seems to me that so called "Ratters" feel they must justify spending such a large amount on one jig."You can do this, you can do that" etc. It reminds me of when micro-wave ovens were new, gadgets galore were being sold for such things as boiling eggs,omelettes and other daft applications when in fact there were much simpler ways to cook.Mirowaves have their place, as does the "Rat" but I don't think it is the answer to every joint in woodworking. I'll go stand in the corner now before the said "Ratters" descend upon me in force.

You are obviously a very bad person and should be banned from this message board immediately. Just who do you think you are questioning the capabilities of the Rat? Why, it was only two weeks ago that the Ratters confirmed to me that it wasn't made of cast iron, you couldn't fit a dado head in the Rat and also that it didn't make the tea. Obviously, honest and trustworthy personages.

Cheers
Neil

jaymar":175vgn98 said:
I'm sure the woodrat is an excellent tool/jig but it seems to me that so called "Ratters" feel they must justify spending such a large amount on one jig."You can do this, you can do that" etc.

LOL, Jaymar, I have never, nor would ever recommend actually making dowels on it! I just know that Godfrey claims it can do it. Interestingly I was talking to Mike Humphreys the other day and he said on his advanced course, he does show you how to make dowels - which surprised me as I had assumed it was only Godfrey talking up the stuff it can do.

It reminds me of when micro-wave ovens were new, gadgets galore were being sold for such things as boiling eggs,omelettes and other daft applications when in fact there were much simpler ways to cook]

This I can comment on, the Woodrat is hardly new now is it? How long has it been out? A decade? Longer? And comparing it to microwaves? :? That have almost 100% penetration into UK households? :shock: Eh? And entire industries dedicated to "microwave" meals - as they are soooo popular? <insert own view on quality/taste here> :roll: And how have we managed to get from Woodrats to microwave meals anyway :lol: :lol: :lol:

but it seems to me that so called "Ratters" feel they must justify spending such a large amount on one jig

Thing is, when I bought it, which is many years ago, it wasn't as expensive as now - about £400, which is about the same as a Leigh Dovetail jig including a few other bits and bobs. So I don't actually see it as something expensive. In fact I don't even think of it as a jig. I just need to do something straight and accurate - and I think - I'll just pop it into the woodrat and do that. No fuss, easy.

The endless discussions that arise, I think, are due to the fact that people achieve the same result on it, using such different techniques, do you cut tenons with the wood mounted vertically, or horizontally, for example, have you made a jig for it, if you look through Tablesaw books - you see hundreds of tips and jigs and techniques to increase the range of functions a tablesaw can achieve - and they have been around for a pretty long time - I think it is only natural, for a "new" machine, albeit a milling machine for wood, will go through the same process, only rather than a few keen individuals writing books, I think these days, the discussions have moved on-line. So you will never be able to get away from endless 'rat questions, and I would expect them to become more and more refined, and advanced over time.

Adam

http://www.woodshopdemos.com/wr-1.htm

This is a very good website for having a read through both about the setup required initially- i.e where to put it in your workshop, but if you follow on to the section on finger joints, and dovetailing it aslo has very good pictures and explanations.

Newbie_Neil, I reckon if you ever need to point people to a website for Woodrat - this is the place I'd send them!

Adam

I know, I've seen the Leigh reviews. I'd say there wasn't much in it for dovetails/finger joints. It's a good site in general, if you are thinking about purchasing anything like a jig, dowel guide etc type of thing.

Really should start adding to the links section but never quite find the time.

Adam

jamar please write out in your best handwriting (dont use the computer)100 times the ratters rule long live the woodrat :D

all sing the ratters song ,oh we do like to be beside our woodrats :twisted: :twisted:

frank

All together now.

Dovetails, dovetails, dovetails
Dovetails, dovetails, dovetails

We love to work with our Leigh Jigs
Their all so much better than a Rat

Mortices, mortices, mortices
Mortices, mortices, mortices

Tenons, tenons, tenons
Tenons, tenons, tenons

Sorry Frank

I've just placed my order for the Leigh dovetail jig. :D :D

Cheers
Neil

On a more serious note :roll: What tipped the balance in favour of the Leigh Neil? :idea:

Adam

asleitch":111hhrsw said:
On a more serious note :roll: What tipped the balance in favour of the Leigh Neil? :idea:

Adam

Because it's better than a rat?? :wink: :wink:

Hi Adam

asleitch":14d86zzk said:

Adam

I have just been looking, and failed, to find the thread that explains my reasons. It was about six months ago and a lengthy diatribe. So here is the short version.

Before I had bought any serious woodworking tools I saw the Rat demonstrated and surprisingly it completely put me off buying one. :roll: I came away with the impression that it was a very difficult system to operate and didn't offer any real advantages. :?

I then purchased the Trend DJ300 dovetail jig. Until late last year, when I bought the Trend M&T jig, all other jigs were made in the workshop. I wanted to be able to produce excellent quality variably spaced/sized dovetails, speedily and with built in repeatability, without relying on pencil marks. There was only ever one choice.

Alf and yourself have been really good about my Rat enquiries, but due to the cost of the Rat and training etc. I ruled it out.

As I said in another recent thread the new woodworker needs to be introduced to the Rat early on, when their minds are still open.

Cheers
Neil

Back